Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Short Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheCreature, Sep 20, 2002.

1. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Two years ago I popped a hernia (really) hoisting a 4-10 Hartke XL into the car. Never again.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    [​IMG]

It's nice and light, and it's one trip from car to venue with a handtruck and a double bass gig bag.

You can't beat tiny, LOUD rigs.

Congrats on the set up!

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Nice Choice

What model woods is that?

Aj

4. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I'm curious what type of situations and venues you're playing as I'm always considering smaller equipment to make load-in and load-out into my Honda easier. My indie pop band has two guitarists and a drummer and we're not painfully loud, no Marshall stacks or anything, and our drummer actually plays with, get this, dynamics, so I'm wondering if I can retire some of the larger cabinets in favor of something smaller of higher quality. What type of groups are you playing with and what size venue, if'n you don't mind my asking.

Thanks,
    J.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    :eek:

i've got a boba fett figure on my amp too!!! the one that rotates 360 degrees and has his phaser out....right before luke chops it off. sheesh, i though i had something original going. you don't have a SLAVE I up there though nyah nyah!

i can sympathize with hauling the hartkes around. those things are pretty hefty.

6. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    AJ - Ultra High - 1200W. I started another WW thread a day or two ago.

Justyn - First time out with the Woods was last night, but I've been using a 1200 W head with those cabs for some time now. I'm doing mainly Blues, R&B and classic rock type stuff. Last night it was a trio. One guitar, with a couple mics on the drums in a medium sized room. Loud enough to require earplugs. The amp kept up w/ that just fine. This amp should easily outperform, say, an Eden Metro for example, and be able to deal with louder situations. For calls from the local Marshall/Strat slinger and outside gigs I use the Aggie w/ a Bag End S15 for a little more grunt.

I've got a Honda too. Wrestling that Hartke into the back seat is what put me in the hospital!

7. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for the response. Were you running into the PA as well? I've been looking at 410s and every time I think of loading one into the back seat of my Honda I get this pre-emptive twinge in my lower back.

J.

8. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    No PA support. I prefer not to for the bars anyway, the exception being the bigger halls.

9. niiice rig!
    i'm becoming a convert of the 'small rigs', i just got my eden 112 and am loving it, its going to uni with me, and hopefully wen i leave i'll get another one to go with it. great for small shows.

*Si*

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Nice

I got one of those ultra wally's as well. I use mine with a pair of bergantino 112's. when I play blues gigs and such I use a sans amp BDDI to put a little fluff on the bottom. I really like that the woods is a little uncolored but for me in that type of settting I need a little something.
    Nice on the back though my whole gig case is a large leather samsonite laptop case, woods on one side everything else(and thers alot )in the other.

AJ;)

11. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I was a little dissapointed that the Ultra Wally (!) didn't have the responsiveness to touch that my Demeter has. Maybe the BDDI is exactly what it needs. I know ya can't really tell from only one gig. I need to play with it more. Any quirks you've noticed AJ?, knobology advice?

12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Well Its designed to nuetral/flat so the "euphoric coloration" that you get with tube gear is not there at all. For me its not something I can deal with so I put a little of the fake stuff on it with a sans amp. I allso play upright which I use on blues gigs all the time so I run that into channel 2 so I get a nice compramise.

with the electric I use the sans amp EQ the most then I use the woods to adjust to the room.

The more pricey and tricker modern sound thing is to get a aguilar tube DI and run that in front of your amp its heavier though.

plus its a nice thing to have around.

hope this helps

AJ

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings