Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*NEW* Show your Spector REX basses!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Mar 6, 2006.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    As my GAS for a REX bass is growing every day, let me (and the rest of the guys here at TB) see your REX.

Bring´em up!!! :bassist:

2. If you're GASing for one, Bass NW has one used for $599.99:

[​IMG]

Nice color! I've played it, nice feel, but not my tone. You could always swap out the pups..

Also, know that unless you sling this thing LOW, that neck is going to dive like there's no tommorow.:eyebrow:

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice!!! I thought this model came only in black and holoflash colors, that blue is amazing, maybe a custom??? :confused:

4. am i the only one who thinks those basses are ugly?

5. Nope

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I actually agree - the REX looks like it was slightly "compacted" to my eyes. Call me crazy, but I much prefer Nikki Sixx's custom "Spectorbirds" from back in the day. However, I do understand the legal reasons why they will most likely never see the light of day again. :scowl:

7. i dunno, i dont think they look all that bad....not my style, but not bad either...

anyone want to go into detail about the neck dive thing though. i sling my spector rebop almost as high as possible...

8. I'm with you, CaracasBass. I've been fiending for for a Rex 5 since they came out and had the pleasure of trying a USA model a while back. I think the body is a unique take on the Explorer/T-bird-ish type shape. I happen to wear my basses low, so no complaints from me on the neck dive issue. Anyone would look goofy trying to wear this one high anyway. Haven't tried any Korean ones yet, but if one came up locally, I'd give 'er a stab (even in that headache-inducing holo flash finish). Nice metal bass for metal folk. If you snag one, post it A.S.A.P. so I can get to drooling.

9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    i want one...i love the Tbird/explorer shape

10. Here's my Rex 5. I love this bass!
    [​IMG]

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They are quite ugly basses...anything TBird like is really not my thing...

12. /Rant

Why come into a thread asking to see a particular bass only to say that it's not your thing?!

It's not conducive to the thread at all!!!!!!!!!!

/endrant

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those may not be my basses, but photos for all!

13. mVC

mVC

Jan 28, 2006
    +1

15. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice!! How do you define its sound?

I thought more people here had a REX bass.... bring ´em on!!!

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is there anything drastically different about the REX's electronics from the other spectors with HZ's..?

17. It's rock and roll baby! I actually prefer this particular bass over my Spector Euro 5 with EMG DCs. Really low action, deep bass, modern highs but not over the top. When we recorded our last album, I ended up using this bass for every track with the exception of the songs I played finger style. For those tunes I used a Zon. The Rex recorded well and was the perfect tone for the tunes I played with a pick.

Since that pic above was taken I've added a Bass Balancer. Nice little strap button extension thingy that combined with a high-friction strap eliminated the neck dive.

I've always liked T-birds but was never real fond of the tone. I think the Rex is a nice take on the T-bird with a good meaty sound.

18. Not that up on the others. The Rex has the EMG 2 band EQ set up with volume/blend.

I have mine running 18v.

19. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I've got a Korean holoflash black Rex 4 string, customised with gold bridge/hardware and abalone Spector crown inlays.

It looks and sounds SWEET! :bassist:

Sorry, no pics at the moment as I'm without a home computer.... :meh:

20. I am a fan of Spectors -

Unrelated query here... what is GAS? Please restrain yourselves from responding with the obvious bodily function comments. ;-)

G.A.S.? GASing? Huh?