1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Six String Bass! Which one??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evo 911, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Evo 911

Evo 911

May 18, 2007
    Lahore
    Hi
    Dudes I have an EBMM Bongo 5 HH (Lamborghini Yellow aka Desert Gold) coming home in a month or so. Now I am GASing up for a sixer as my next! Could u plz recommend a good one that would compliment Bongo's versatility & tone?

I dont really like Bongo 6's looks. Too beefy looking, especially the headstock. Plus I would like something else to add more to my tones bank. Speaking of bank, budget wud not be more than $1700.

I was looking at Ibanez BTB1206 Prestige. Howz it? Is there $500 worth of improvement b/w BTB556MP & BTB1206? Or any better suggestions? Plz tell me as much as u can. Thnx.

2. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Carvin sounds right up your alley, and it would give you something different from the Bongo. I dare you to find a better 6 string in that price range.

3. I would say Carvin as well.

That is a FINE bass you've got there doctorjazz :)
    I was looking for that thread again the other day. The IC6 is awesome, and you can customize pretty much everything on it. Check them out.

www.carvin.com

4. The Ibanez is a sick bass, absolutely fantastic playing and sounding.

lowsound

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yup, Carvin would be a great choice. Possibly a Peavey Cirrus - previously owned, so as to meet your budget.

Please define "something else"... :confused:

MM

6. Evo 911

Evo 911

May 18, 2007
    Lahore
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Cirrus-5-5String-Bass?sku=511356&src=3SOSWXXA

I wud expect a 6 string wud be even more expensive!

By something else, I simply meant that since Bongo is on its way, it wud certainly have its own set of tones. And another type of bass would have its own. Two Bongos would sound just the same. Since Im buying another bass, why not get a different one to discover even more tones? I really dont have anything specific in my mind, just that buying a different one makes more sense.

And Carvin Icon looks amazing, but it has some shortcomings:

34" scale: I wud love a 35" since Bongo is also 34" n im scared about the low B (I currently have Yamaha RBX375 if that explains my fears!).

Alder body: Been hoping to get a mahogany one, though got nothing against Alder. (PHATness!)

Electronics: Have absolutely no idea how Carvin soapbars & 18V preamp sound. Although the sample on the site was mind blowing with SUPERB balance, I cudnt decipher how much of it was the amp, and how much the bass & its electronics.

Price: Since Ibanez BTB1206 is giving me most of what I am asking for, that is Mahogany body with maple top, 35" scale, monorail bridge, Bartolini Custom buckers & 18V preamp in $1350, I dont see why I wud shell out $1850 at Carvin n STILL make a compromise. The only PLUS here is the looks, which are not too bad in BTB's case either.

There should be more customization choices at Carvin, like electronics & wood type. These are basic ingredients of tone. Their given choices focus more on cosmetics rather than muscle. So far it was tremendous help. Plz provide some more options if u can. Thnx a LOT!

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    what are the yamaha trb's worth in the states?

8. Carvin LB76 is nice, also has a long-scale version; XB76 35-1/4" scale, don't know the price on the XB. I priced out an LB and it came to like 1400 CDN I think

9. Evo 911

Evo 911

May 18, 2007
    Lahore
    XB76 adds up to $1600 with almost what I want. Still $250 higher... :D Damn man it almost sounds like I am supporting Ibanez against these...

10. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    MTD zephyr 6

11. Evo 911

Evo 911

May 18, 2007
    Lahore
    Hey howz Yamaha TRB1006? Given the price & everything? Shud I get the Ibanez or Yamaha?

12. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    mmkay, woods are completely customizable. You wanna Mahogany Icon? they'll do it for ya. The soaps are also extremely versatile, I can get a very nice singing sound out of em, and go right into a deep jazzy tone. You can also get any type of Carvin pickups you want on them. The low B is sweet, i've never had any problems with mine.

the Icon's neck is also WAAAAY more playable than the BTB's. Believe me, I've compared em.

NOTE: in order for complete customization, you have to order over the phone. The custom order site thing leaves LOTS of options out.

13. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    when cost is a factor though, you would definately be better off going with an XB. I've compared option prices between the two, and with everything the same, the LB and XB always come up a few hundred bux cheaper. Basically you're just paying for the shape of the Icon. It used to be that you could only get the 18 V preamp on the Icon, but now it's standard on all.

14. BTB . . . just do it!

15. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
  16. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    I'd say Carvin is the best bang for the buck but if you don't mind spending a little more I'd get a Modulus Quantium 6 ... I did and love it!

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    :rolleyes:

MM

18. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I played a Peavey Grind 6 string today. It was a great bass, played like a dream and sounded great all through the range of the instrument. Really flat neck.

It seems like a great value. If were to get a 6 string, that would be it.

19. You can pick almost ANY kind of wood you want with Carvin.

35" scale is always good for tension, but it all depends on the woods, strings, and mostly the player. My Alembic Orion is 34" and the B sounds HUGE, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

20. Go for a used high-end bass like a Modulus Quantum 6.

I also like Warwick Streamer LX models and even Corvette
    6'ers.