New six string, floppy B

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rumblesmith, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Rumblesmith

Rumblesmith

Nov 28, 2013
    Greetings! I got a new six string Ursa from Rondo ( my first sixer) and I'm noticing the b is very floppy. I tried to tighten it, and I can get to about an E before I feel scared to tighten more and break the string. Is this something I can fix playing with the bridge, and if so can somebody walk this newbie through it?

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    You will need a higher tension "B" string. Normally larger diameter strings are higher tension.

Bob

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    What is the scale length of the bass? What strings are on it? 34" scale and shorter B strings tend to be a bit floppy, so a higher tension string may be necessary.

4. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    The SX Ursa basses are 34" scale. Get a larger gauge B string.

5. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    B is floppy, even though you can only tune up to E? That sounds like the opposite problem entirely, and sounds more like you've confused the B string for the E string. Because that is a huge difference in pitch. I could understand if it got up to A/Bb and it seemed too tight to get to B. But E...

6. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx

You can tune a .125 low B string up to E, it would be pretty tight but it can be tuned that high.

7. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    I could maybe see my .125 getting up to a C at best. Even then, I'd be wincing in anticipation of the thing snapping. =P

8. Funkfaker

Funkfaker

Jan 4, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: CallowHill Guitars; Aguilar Amplification; MonoCases
    I've had luck with nickel DR Lo-Riders (They also have steel if you prefer). The hex core adds a little extra tension. You can also get a set with a .130 B.

9. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    For B I use a 0.130 flatwound. With roundwounds I prefer 0.135. Some bassists prefer thinner strings, some fatter ones. A B string for a 34" longscale bass can be anything between 0.120 and 0.145.

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I would recommend using a .145 B

11. Rumblesmith

Rumblesmith

Nov 28, 2013
    No, quite sure it was the B string. Another thread on this site about this bass states how crappy the stock strings are. I went out and bought a new set on my lunch break, hopefully they will fare better. The B on the ones I bought is .130.

12. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I had a friend who used to use the B E A and D strings out of a 5 string set to tune drop C# and would tune up to standard E. He quit doing it because he was constantly fighting to much forward bow in his neck, but he never had problems breaking strings.

13. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
  14. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Nashrakh likes this.
  15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Actually, they're stiffer even the tension may be similar. The hex cores are more resistant to bending, hence the diminished "flop". As I understand it, Sadowsky strings are all built on a hex core platform and they've proven to be exceptional on my 34" scale basses. This is the route I would choose before installing something huge like a .145.

Riis

16. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Floppy strings played with a light touch is one of my favorite bass tones! Give it a try for a few days if you want to experience something different and wonderful.

But that said, yeah, I agree with the above: If you are still using the strings that came with the bass, change them!

Every bass I buy gets a new set of my favorite brand of strings, as well as a full setup. :)

17. Rumblesmith

Rumblesmith

Nov 28, 2013
    Thanks everybody, I ended up getting some new strings (D'addario XL roundwounds) and it sounds great. Looking forward to gigging with it this weekend (yes, two days in and I've already played it enough to feel comfortable)!

18. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    What gauges did you bought? :)

19. Rumblesmith

Rumblesmith

Nov 28, 2013
    The low B is a .130. Others have said they had to take a dremel to the bridge to get the .130 to fit but with enough pulling it came through. Tight fit though. In other news my new bass made it's debut this weekend at church and it sounded great!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021