Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Six String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metallifloyd, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Metallifloyd

Metallifloyd

Feb 5, 2005
    Maine
    Hey. This is my first post here...I've been browsing a while, and I am finally coming out of hiding to ask a question. I'm looking for a replacement for my Rogue LX406 bass. This bass will be used as my main bass, and I want it to last. It MUST be a six string, and I would really like to have a fretless. I tried out a Dean Edge 6 fretless at a local music store, where it was $520. I personally liked it, but my teacher suggested I aim a little higher.
    I've been looking at the Ibanez SR406 model as far at fretted basses go, but I really want a fretless due to all of the neat bass lines I could create with one.
    Any input is appreciated. I can also respond with any more information that one would like to know.

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Well, what genre, max price, pickup config, etc?

3. Metallifloyd

Metallifloyd

Feb 5, 2005
    Maine
    Most of what I play is rock. Metallica, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin...that kind of stuff. I also might be doing some jazz or soul in the near future.
    As far as the budget goes, I'm trying to get a good bass for $700 or less. I know I could get something really nice (like a Warwick) if I went higher, but I'm just looking for a "good" bass, and not anything that will cost me an arm and a leg.
    I like bartolini pickups, from my experience trying out basses with said pu's installed. Um....3 band EQ would be nice to have, and I don't really care all that much whether the bass has passive or active electronics. I've dealt with both, and the difference tonally doesn't sound very important to my ears. My main bass currently is an Ibanez GSR205, if that helps.

4. I'm not a 6-string player, but if I ever felt compelled to hit something like that, I'd pounce on a Brice Prestige Z

http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitar6.html

Just looking at it gives me chills. Douglas SB-26 looks nice, but it just doesn't give me the hormone rush of the Prestige.

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Sometimes Rondomusic has things that aren't on the website. Might be possible to get the neck-thru Prestige Z in a fretless, which could be a sweet option for around $450. People have compared the Brice basses to ones costing well over $1K. Search the SX megathread for more info

You'd save enough to be able to swap out the pickups and get whatever floats your boat, too. (Bartolinis, etc.)

6. Metallifloyd

Metallifloyd

Feb 5, 2005
    Maine
    I'll definitely check into a fretless version of that neck-through bass. However, I would like to know about people's experience with Brice basses, since they're priced so low. I know the major problems I have with my current six-string are electronic noise (buzzing caused by the electronics and stuff), a slow neck, and low volume in the middle strings, even when I crank the mids. If the Brices are construced well, have good playability, and sounds great then I'm up for getting one.

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Spector. Legend .6.

8. I recently bought a Brice HXB-406 FL and it is an amazing bass.

I actually wrote a really long review for a couple of people...I should probably put it on here.

9. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Peavey Fury 6ers are very nice for the price, although they do not come in fretless form, and are discontinued.

10. Metallifloyd

Metallifloyd

Feb 5, 2005
    Maine
    Please do.

11. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    I bought a Brice HXB-406 about 7 months ago. Considering the price, it is a very high quality instrument. I think my buying price was around 280, and it's easily as good as a bass that would be triple or quadruple that.

My advice to you is to get a Brice. You won't be dissapointed.

12. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I bought an Ibanez SR-506 about a month ago and I love it. I can't say enough good things about this bass! :)

Good luck!

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I've been itching for one of them for a long time now. Either that or an SR406 which I believe the original poster was checking out. Good solid bass, but the electronics aren't THE best. Great playability, stable neck, quick playing. The only short straw is the electronics which I believe are the same size as EMG soapbars for a drop in replacement.

14. Metallifloyd

Metallifloyd

Feb 5, 2005
    Maine
    Actually, I did make a mistake in my original post. I meant SR506, and not SR406.

It looks like it's between the Brice, and the Ibanez SR506. I would like to know what the Ibanez has on the Brice...if there's any reason I should go for the higher-priced one if the lower-priced one is a quality-bass.

15. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    As a previous owner of a Brice doulas five string bass,I can say this.
    I replaced the nut pulled the frets and radiused the board to a 12"radius and refreted. I routed a cavity to access the trust rod.
    Had it not been for the hardware, and pickups or electronics, which may be fine for some, is where I feel they cut the corners. The bass would of been right up there with my 66 jazz. I sold it cause the string spacing was so tite, it really didn't work for me.

16. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I would go Brice. I've never met an Ibanez that didn't feel like a flimsy toothpick.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Even better. I've yet to play the Brice, but I hear good things about sometime, but the SR506 was the bass that got me to love ERB's again. Next to my '78 Precision and my Marcus Miller Jazz, I want an SR506 to fill in the mix.

18. 90k

May 3, 2005
    Arizona
    Things to consider. what string spacing do you prefer, both nut spacing and spacing at the bridge. neck profile. all these things are subject to change with time. I leaned more towards flater and wider, as I progressed. Tighter is great for incorporating your tump with your fingers in the plucking style. Wider is great for slaping and keeping your left hand tumb in the proper place(subject to interpratation) when in first position.
    good luck in your quest.

19. I worry about sub $300.00 basses. My best suggestion for a good sounding and playing fretless 6 is to look on ebay for a used Carvin. I must admit that I had trouble with the two Carvin basses I owned. The necks continually bowed in on me until the truss rod maxed out.However, I cannot say for sure if that is a ongoing problem with Carvin or not. I only know that I and two other bassists here in Connecticut had issues with our Carvin necks.

If you do some research and decide you trust Carvin, you'll likely want to spend around $800.00 for a nice used one on Ebay.

Some folks will buy a fretted bass and pull hte frets and go fretless.However, this is easier said than done. THe fretboard needs to be leveled perfectly and wood slivers need to go into the slots previously occupied by the frets.This can get expensive quickly if you aren't able ot do the mods yourself. If you hapeend ot be able to do the work, something like a used Schecter Studio 6 or Ibanez SR 406 might be a great investment for your price range.

20. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    It might be in your best interest to try and get a used 6'er, and have it professionally defretted. Many a time I have thought of buying another Ibanez SR506 (I have the 2004 model), and having it defretted so I could have a matching set. I still rant and rave about the SR506, and I've had it over a year and a half. Great, great bass.

Foxfire does love his Brice, as do others I have talked to. I believe I'm going to get one soon.