1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New SKB Roto 2U design?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
  2. Very cool. However, I need a longer one for my 14.5 depth. It appears that they have redesigned the whole line. Maybe the MF model is on clearance of some sort; I just would want to make sure I get the one pictured.

3. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    One thing to take a hard look at with any 2-space rack used for an amp is cooling clearance. The one in your first link looks like it might not have much, but how much that matters depends a lot on what specific amp you're using. The price is certainly attractive though, and I'm pretty sure MF won't substitute a new one at that price. There were tons of blowouts on old SKBs on eBay last time I checked as well. The old model is still on the SKB website too, FWIW.

I went for the new model because in the old short format the back lid was pretty cheesy, and I also didn't want to hassle with the limited back access. Not an issue in your case. I also went for a 3RU one for cooling purposes, since my amp has top and bottom vents and no fan.

4. Good points. I had the old shallow "twister back-flap" SKB with my GK700RBII; that model needed ventilation. My HL500 vents from the front and back. I was told by a few that the Gator Shallow 2U will work, though barely--and even then the feet have to come off. Looks like the MF deal might be a good way to go. I specifically like the molder handle--especially over the Gator (which I eventually used for my old GK and sold, as it rattled and and didn't fit together especially well.

5. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    The molded handle sticks out on the old shorties, and there's only one of them -- didn't love that either. There's still plenty of room for improvement with all of these designs IMHO.

Orpheus55 likes this.
  6. I went with this one:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/skb-2u-space-roto-molded-rack
    The guy at MF said it wasn't on clearance, it was the "current production model," and I could return it postage paid if it wasn't the one I like. Since the Sweetwater version is about $50 more, I cannot see myself being upset if that's the one I get. At this price, I can't lose either way.

7. Well, the SKB 2U Roto rack is HUGE, but clearly very sturdy. And probably bulletproof. There is about 4 inches of room in the back which easily holds my cable, ply cord and smallish surge protector. It is the "old" design and hassled handles on either side. It also has feet on the bottom, though its size has it resting on the protective corners of the Avatar 210 cab--feels very locked on with a not of overhand on the back. Had to remove the feet of the amp (which sounds incredible through this ca--very muscular-to get it in. But it seems to be solidly locked on. Latches work fine/ the gasket was a little tight at first, but that's good. For $87.00 at MF, it is a good deal. The newly designed version at Sweetwater is $139.00 with the same size parameters. Only 30 lbs with amp inside, easy enough for an old guy like me even if it is a bit bulky. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1404404064.073014.

8. Oh, and all of the hardware was included--you just have to look for it!

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I wonder if me relentlessly slagging the awful back panel on the old version every chance I got (in every on line forum or site I could) finally got to someone. If anyone wants to trade a new version of the shallow 4 for my old version, let me know.

10. If it did, I am grateful. The full size is big, but allows lots of space for extra stuff: power cord, cable, and even a small power strip.