Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJSBASS, Sep 29, 2005.

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    Hey everyone, some may remember me from about a few weeks ago browsing around for bass companies and manufacturers. So with the help of some TalkBass members, I ended up going with Skjold Designs. I absolutely do NOT regret this decision! The customer service is great. I called up and Pete helped me choose the components to my new instrument that suit me best. I will post pictures once I get the cable for my digital camera.

The Bass: Pro Series 5 String, Swamp Ash Wood, 3 Band Equalizer, Ebony Covered Pickups with an Ebony Fingerboard, Gloss Finish

Craftsmanship: Simply amazing. The intonation is great! Playing octaves high up on the fretboard usually produces some waves between the pitches but here there are none! To think this is handmade! The body of the bass is a beautiful swamp ash natural finish with ebony covered pickups. Sure the body shape and gloss finish impressed me but WOW, the pickups! The bass really looks badass. The neck is ebony as well with steel color frets. Not only is this bass aesthetically pleasing but it sounds great! Great is actually an understatement, this is honestly the best instrument I have ever played.

Sound: Here is where this bass shines above the rest. The 3 band equalizer produces a very versatile instrument. I go to play at my weekly Jazz Combo, I find a sound perfect for whatever we're playing whether it’s a standard or a modern tune. When my band practices, I find a sound perfect for every song we play, whether it’s a ballad YYZ by Rush, or some funk. Slap is really where this bass sounds the best in my opinion. I really can't explain how great the slap sounds, I wish I could record it and post it. I could compare it to any Warwick of mine and there is no competition. Classical? Why not? I'm almost certain I can find a sound for whatever genre I'm playing. I must not forget the Low B. It's has a great punch to it and is extremely crisp and clean, not muddy at all. I never owned a 5 string before so I can't really compare it to another low B. However I brought it to my teacher and he was shocked at how crisp and clean it was. Once again, this is the most versatile bass I have ever played. I actually might stop bringing my upright to combo practice :)

Playability: To start off, this bass is amazingly light! It has to be less than half the weight of my Warwick fretless neck thru. Standing up for hours playing on stage or practicing is not a drag at all. I have yet to weigh this, I'll post its actual weight soon. This is my first 5 string, and I was worried about switching over due to the change in gap between the strings. I thought it would be harder for me to slap or even play. Not at all! I hardly notice the gap when I switch between my fretless and this bass, so popping and slapping is no problem. The action is very low. As low as can go! Its very easy to play, and there is no buzz from the string hitting the frets. Playing quick scales up and down the neck is very simple when you don't have to press down so hard on the fingerboard! I shall also take pictures of the strings so you can see what I mean.

Overall: This company is truly amazing. The customer service is great and they make unbelievable instruments. I recommend Skjold Designs to any bass player, especially if they're looking for something extremely versatile. I have been stuck on Warwick models for a while, but I do not think they stand up to this bass. Of course this is all opinion, however, in terms of weight, versatility, sound, and looks, I go with Skjold Designs. This doesn't mean I hate Warwicks! They are great instruments as well!

Pictures coming soon! :bassist:

Attached Files:

2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Your bass has two split coil pickups btw. There are only two pickups, but they are split in the middle and staggered. Think of a P-bass pickup, cept much thinner so they fit into one housing about an inch and half wide.

I didnt get a chance to play yours before it went out (it wasnt finished last I was there), but I have played the 6-string ash pro series with a maple board. I imagine yours would be a bit darker with ebony.

I also think you hit the nail on the head about the best thing about Pete's basses...versatility like you wouldnt believe. Most other pre-amps I've messed around with always took some tweaking to find a good sound. I have yet to find a bad sound on the Skjold pre.

PS - Glad you are happy with your choice - especially since I was one of a few who recomended them. Would have sucked if you chose Skjold and werent as impressed as I am hehe.

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    Thanks, I was confused there. :meh:

The bass also sounds amazing when its not plugged into anything
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The sign of good wood selection and construction there. I always try a bass unplugged first. If it doesnt have it there, electronics will only go so far to help it :)
  5. RJ, Congrats on the new Skjold! It's funny, your recipe is EXACTLY the same type that I was talking to Pete about building for me. It didn't work out, but I would love to try yours to see what "mine" would have soundede like.

Juneau, what was that 6-string Pro like with the maple board?

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    I just put strap locks on my took me over an hour to get the retainer washer off! i tried pulling on it, hurt my fingers, so then i took the good old hammer. heh. good thing they didn't break but they're on and work like a charm. now i don't have to worry about my strap falling off and my bass breaking to pieces

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    I can only upload 2 images?

Attached Files:

8. Well RJ, Let us know when you can get more images on there. The full-length shot is a little dark on my monitor. Maybe an outside shot would be good.

Looking forward to seeing it. ;) :hyper:

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York

Attached Files:

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm pretty much a fan of Pete's Pro Series basses. At some point, I can see myself with a Limba body, Skjold MM type p-up, and with either a Mac Ebony or Bubinga board with matching pickup cover. I think that would be a really nice bass.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Awesome! I'm glad that the Skjold worked out for you and that we didn't steer you wrong! ;)

And yes, the versatility of Pete's basses is truly impressive. I'm always amazed at the wide range of tones/styles that my Skjold can do, and do well. Also, his low B is the tightest, most crisp (yet still deep/full) that I have heard. It'll spoil you for other 5-strings!

Enjoy, Tom.
  12. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  13. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Hey John ,

as I remember , you wanted something entirerly different regarding the pickups and electronics :D

I want to stick to what I'm using now . I think it offers a good selection of tones . BTW the six has a 2-band preamp made for me by John East . I really like them :)

14. Good point Pete. You were very convinced of your pre/pickup combo...and I was really trying to decide what to do. I would still love to try that bass (or other Skjold bass with that combo) so I can figure out how to get various tones. I have trouble getting over the learning curve on the knobs! :rollno:

I will say I really dug that fretless you made! That bass was awesome!!
  15. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I just got a Skjold 5 string single cut and I must say this is one amazing bass.

Pete puts a lot of attention into his design and this bass is one of the nicest I have ever come across. The tone is amazing, the neck feels like it was made for my hand and the bass weighs in at about 8 pounds. How much better can it be?

I am going to have Pete make a 4 string for me to complete the setup. If you have not played one of Pete's basses you owe it to yourself to give one a try.

I have been a 34" scale player for years and was a bit nervous about purchasing a 35" scale bass but Pete told me that he factored that in when he came up with his design. By moving the bridge back to the end of the body, he has achieved the extra 1" in scale length while still making it easy for us 34" guys.

I have finally found the tone I have been searching for...
  16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    4 words: Pete Skjold is awesome.

...and I mean that in every sense of the phrase... great guy, great service, great products.
  17. Hey RJS.. congrats on the bass... and welcome to the club. Unfortunately, I think you might come to learn the biggest problem with Pete & his basses.... that is... you can't own just one.!!
  18. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
  19. Just took delivery of a Limba body, Bloodwood fretboard (fretless 5er), Bloodwood knobs and p'up cover. Best bass I've ever played. As I stated elsewhere on this site, the Ken Smith is going in the closet and may never come out.

The action is so low I'm having to re-learn a lot. Mines passive. Pete could have told me it was active and I don't think I would have known until trying to swap out a battery. Really strong signal. You really do have to try to get a bad tone outta this rascal.

Whether you're looking for a custom or not, this is the way to go. Hand made and made to order, no disappointments. It would be possible to spend three times as much and get less than half as much bass.

Pete, you da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I manage to overcome mild cyber mental retardation I'll post pics.

Attached Files: