1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Skjold Family Photo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Morgan, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

After a long wait and much discussion on TB, I thought I would finally post a family photos of my Skjolds.

44v9ouq.jpg
    2wg8wf6.jpg
    339sle1.jpg
    3zqz9tv.jpg
    3yx6khf.jpg

I'll be posting more about these basses as I get more and more comfortable with them.
    As you can imagine, I'm more than thrilled with them at this point. They're hands down, the best basses I've ever played.
    Construction, tone, flexibility, comfort...unbelievable.
    More to follow.
    Thanks again to a master luthier and one hell of a nice guy, Pete Skjold.

2. RWiegman

RWiegman

Jul 18, 2005
    Netherlands
    That's great. Nice family.

What type of wood is the fretless fingerboard made of, bit of a (nice but) strange color. How does it compare to ebony?

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    WOW! Three beauties!

Congratulations!

4. Matt Morgan

The fingerboard is actually figured Bloodwood. Bloodwood is harder than Ebony, is that nice dark red color and has great tone.

5. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    That fretless is crazy !
    No sleep tonight either :D

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Absolutely Amazing.

I love that fretless.

-Mark

7. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Matt,
    Your collection takes my breath away! I'm sure if I heard them, they would.....take my ears away!! :p

Enjoy those basses! And find some holes in your schedule so you CAN enjoy them.

8. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Awesome Matt! They definitely look like show stoppers!
    I wondered when you were getting them. From Dual Roscoe's to dual Skjold's.....
    That fretless is just breath taking!:hyper:
    I've yet to play a Skjold but from what I hear they are really nice!:)

9. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    An amazing collection Matt. I hope to be back in to a Skjold before too long.

10. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    great pickup placement on the fretless...must sound growly as hell!

11. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Great looking basses. The Skjold body design is really nice and small...something that I look forward to owning someday.

Did you receive all of those at the same time? I'd just die!

12. Matt Morgan

I picked up the Zebrawood/White Wenge Exotic custom about a month ago and the other two last Tuesday!

The placement of the Skjold C-4 pickup is just awesome. It growls like you'd expect and the physical feel of it is great. The position allows a good bit of hand movement almost like a ramp. I really love it.

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've been drooling over these basses since this batch first began... especially that quilted one. Man, that mac ebony board is to DIE FOR, and the beautiful figured blonde look is just too pretty to deny. Of course his fretless was the first piece of redwood like that I've ever seen, and I haven't seen many (outside of Pete's stock) since, either. The Zebra one is awesome as well, but I have a special place in my heart for the current batch models. Pete's made many marked improvements over time and this particular batch really shows it.

I also have a bass from this batch, and so as not to derail here, I'll just post a link to it so any comments can be placed there. In short though, like Matt, I really couldn't be any happier with the results.

Thread begins:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246325

Receipt of the bass, reviews, clips, more pics, starting with post #97...
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246325&page=5

I will say Matt has me at a disadvantage, however... he got to play my bass, but I didn't get to play his. :( ;)
    (which, btw, I'm fine with, and practically insisted that he'd do) :)

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Fantastic collection, Matt! I am a bit of a Skjold fan, myself. :D

Tom.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nice collection, particularly the fretless. I'm not a fan of the Skjold body/headstock shape, but every one I've heard sounded fantastic and the attention to detail looks top notch.

BTW, it looks like we have the same Pergo birch block flooring :D
    [​IMG]

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For those of similar inclination, keep in mind that Pete will soon be offering the Lion's Pride series of instruments, which will package all that Skjold tonal goodness in a more "traditional" package. :D

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    True, which also includes pickup spacing, so it's truly an option for those who just don't feel his standard design.

18. Matt Morgan

Vic,
    If you ever manage to make your way to Dallas or anywhere near here, all three will be at your disposal! Let me tell you the Zebra Exotic is an awesome player. There are a few construction differences but overall it plays and sounds fantastic!

Tom,
    Calling yourself a "bit of a Skjold fan" is like Whitney Houston calling herself a "bit of a crack fan". You've got what, something like three more in the works?

As far as the headstock goes, I think they're very appealing. That's very much a subjective thing. To each their own.
    Now about the body shape, I think you really have to put on a Skjold and play it to appreciate it.
    The bodies fit me and balance on me perfectly. They really are the most ergonomic basses that I've played. The bodies are perfectly carved, the neck profile and fretboard radius are super comfortable and the position of the bridge and pick-ups results in an extremely comfortable playing position.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well, if I do, I'll DEFINITELY take you up on that, as well as pestering Pete for a stop by the shop. :)

Not to derail, but I had to TOTALLY LOL on this one! :D

A BIG +1 on that!

Pete's design criteria centers STRONGLY on the active performing musician... it's why his designs feel so good to carry, and it's also why he specifically selects lighter cuts of wood as much as possible unless otherwise requested by the customer for specific sound requirements.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm not a fan of traditional shapes either :D I like round round round. Curvy body shapes with few to no geometric movements in the body shape, and full bullnose radiusing on the body so that every edge on the body has a soft curve. That's just a personal preference though- everyone has a different body, and I'm sure the Skjold shape fits many people perfectly. He makes some of the best sounding basses I've heard. He also puts out sound and video clips of many of his basses, which would be nice to see other luthiers do.