Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Slap DVD by Ed Friedland

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by chardin, Feb 7, 2003.

1. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I just received my copy of Ed Friedland's new slap/funk bass DVD. This is an exceptional instruction video and at around US$20 a great value. I ordered this DVD after my VCR ate my Alexis Sklarevski tape. Ed's instruction is every bit as good as Alexis'. The only real difference is that Ed jams with a drum machine but Alexis has segments where he plays with a trio.

Check out Ed Friedland's web site http://www.edfriedland.com/ and select the Books link.

P.S. I don't know Ed Friedland and I won't profit from this message. I just think Ed's instruction materials (Building Walking Bass Lines, etc.) are the best available.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's excellent. I always thought Ed was such an underrated slapper. His techinque is just so clean.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    LOL!!! HA haa!!!

You mean slap head, right?! :D

Naah, sorry Ed, I haev both your walking basslines books.

Q: How advanced does this DVD go? I've been considering a slap DVD/vid for a while, but I wanted to get one that has some really advanced techniques, as well as just the basics, I've been slapping for a while, but it couldnt do any harm to work on it from an instructional vid.

I also wanted one that isnt REALLY cheesey?!

5. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Ed's slap DVD goes from absolute beginner to very advanced "weed-whacker" triplets. He cautions the viewer not to over use the flashy riffs. The production is very professional. Ed does throw in a few jokes here and there but just enough to make you grin. Well worth the money.

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, that's advanced alright.. what the Hell are 'weedwhacker' triplets?!

Sounds good, I migh purchase someday

7. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Ed has coined the term "weed whacker" triplets which are so fast they sound like a weed whacker. Alexis Sklarevski calls them "machine gun" triplets. I think Victor Wooten calls the technique "open hammer pluck."

It's, for me anyway, a very advanced technique that involves slap, fret-hand slap, and a pop.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    And I believe that Gazzbass.com guy calls them Stringed triplets.....its a weird world we live in.

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK

Aaah, all is now clear.

I'd never heard the term weed whacker before?!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's a good one - now we have our own bassist's "in-joke" - call somebody who over-utilises this technique a "slap head"!! :D

I like it!!

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Plus it works doubley for the likes of Ed, me & you cause we are indeed slap heads! :D

Not too sure about these new smiley's, this guy is strumming!!!! Is that A GUITAR!!!

:bassist:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - if you right click on the smiley and then choose properties you will see it says "Guitarist"!! :spit:

13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    bloody hell it does too!

I think we need to do something about this.

It's an invasion!!!!!

Moderator, Moderator!!!

14. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Yes??:bassist: :D

Chris A. :rolleyes:

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    :bassist: and guitarist sitting in a tree..
    K I SS I N G..

16. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    uh, what?

I don't think so. There are plenty more dudes that over use that smilie much more than I.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    never mind.. it's one of those things kids say at primary school... like "know you are said you are but what am i?"... t'was a (pretty poor) joke :rolleyes: