Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Slapper!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassfromDrums, Oct 13, 2002.

1. I'm trying to get slap act together and am hoping you guys can help me out. I'm currently working on goofy octave disco licks. Should I mute the plucks (g string) by pulling off my fretting finger or should I use the outside palm of my hand. Or......

Thanks!!!

2. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    You can easily mute the string you're popping on by applying light pressure on the string with the left hand over the note you desire, but not fully fretting it. This leaves your right hand free to do it's slap/pop thang.

Mikey/

3. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    Alternately using this technique of muting w/ the left hand with slapping the B, E or A etc, with your right hand produces nice percussive sounds in between the notes that you actually fret.

If I'm doing successive muted passages, I may rest the heel of my right hand over all or some of the strings while letting my left hand actually fret the notes. It's a matter of the situation and playing style. Once you're doing it for a while, you'll find yours. But letting your left hand mute initially is a good place to start.

Mikey/