Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Smith BSR-6EG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geshel, Oct 28, 2003.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Has landed! :D

Well - new to me. 2000 model, scored on Ebay. Cocobolo top and back, walnut core.

Picture time!

[​IMG]

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Aww, how cute! :D

[​IMG]

3. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Nice! So how does it compare to the hanewinckel? You got sound samples BTW?

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Impressions:

- big! Don't know why they seem smaller in their pictures. Bigger in just about every dimension than the Hanewinckel, except not quite as heavy. Beefy neck. Wiiiide spacing, not as off-putting as I'd have guessed. I had a harder time with the Tobias, which was wide at the nut but not the bridge (both ends somewhere in between the H. and the KS, but with less taper than either).

- beautiful! such a work of wood these things are. I like the finish. Not a fan of gloss in general, but this is good stuff. And I've always liked the Smith 5-piece body sandwich.

- punchy! that's the name of the game with the sound.

Recorded this little ditty with it, three tracks of bass over midi drums. None of them a dry sound though, sorry.

So far, the Hanewinckel is more comfortable (the wider spacing on the Smith makes slapping easier, but I don't slap that much so. . .coming back to the Winckel is like "ahhh"), the deep tummy cut being something I like very much about the Hanewinckel (though it's not really over my tummy). The tones are pretty different, it'll take me some time to see how useful the Smith sound is.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    heh - you sneaky poster Ari! :D

6. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Well I guess my post is useless now :D

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wow, busy forums. So quick to page two. . . :p

8. My favorite Smiths have always been the Cocobolo topped ones. Looks really good!! Nice score.

Geoff

9. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    It sounds nice! It reminds me of my Sukop 6, I wonder if it's because of the neck-through construction - I can notice a similar character in the sound.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Thanks guys. Geoff - yeah, me too. Though I really like the 5A tiger maple ones they've made - the *only* flame-maple bass I've ever really liked.

Ari - interesting. I'll try to get some dry clips up tonight. Maple neck-through yeah, though the pickup location is pretty different and I think the pickup sound as well.

11. Why does it seem so quite familiar to me? :confused:

here's mine, 1990 model,just one string less, Mahagony core and Morado instead of Cocobolo.. just love it ! :p

[​IMG]

12. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Pickup placement looks pretty similar to me:

[​IMG]

second pickup is really close to the bridge on both basses, which may give that edgy sound.

BTW I'll try to record a few soundclips as soon as I put fresh strings on it.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Ari - oh yeah, you're right. Don't know why on first glance it didn't look that similar.

Nightshifter - nice! TBer Peter Parker has one w/ a cocobolo top and walnut body. . .though I think the grain on the front of his looks more like that on the back of mine.

14. They look like they were made for each other! Very nice!

15. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    what does a bass like this set you back? It is versatile? Marc

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I got it for about half list.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love the lines on the Elites!

18. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Great looking bass, Geshel. Of course I would love it considering;)
    [​IMG]