Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Sodas vs. Defunct Sodas

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ad Nauseam, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Mt.Dew Code Red

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Pepsi Twist

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Vanilla Coke

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Dr Pepper Red Fusion

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Pepsi Blue

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Lemon Coke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. BRING BACK CRYSTAL PEPSI!!!

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  8. BRING BACK OK SODA!!!

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. It seems there are a lot of new Sodas rearing their heads lately. Which do you prefer or would you rather a couple old ones made a reappearance?
    I'm almost sure I've forgotten some, so please ask a mod to add any that I left out!
    ~Ad

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Code Red is pretty decent. The new 'hinted with lemon' flavored sodas I thought were a failure.

I'd have to go with Crystal Pepsi. mmmmm.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Mmmmm Crystal Pepsi. That stuff was good. Why don't they bring it back?

4. If you like Code Red, try Diet Code Red. Unlike regular Diet Dew, Diet Code Red is actually tolerable.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would really like Vanilla Coke, if it had a tad less vanilla in it. It's kind of overpowering.

Pepsi Blue sucks like a hole in an airplane.

Bring back Crystal Pepsi!

6. Here's my take on all:

Code red: The best out of the nu-sodas. If Peter says the diet one is good as well, I'll have to check it out.

Vanilla coke: Second to Code red. Not as good as coke with vanilla syrup (Torani or other) but a nice mainstay.

Lemon Coke/Pepsi Twist: I haven't tried the coke version, but the Pepsi one tasted just like adding soda to tea. I wasn't impressed.

Pepsi Blue: Pepsi Blows. This S*** sucks. It tastes like carbonated kool aide.

Dr Pepper Red Fusion: Tastes like someone put Grenadine in a flat Dr. Pepper.

OK Soda: This stuff was good, but easy to create if you had the right sodas to mix. There are still several different recipes on the net for orange soda/coke/pepsi/ etc. combinations that come pretty close. I remember calling the 1-800 number from payphones when my friends and I were bored.
    Somehow that received a merit in our idea of entertainment.

Crystal Pepsi: Why this ever faded away is an enigma. Was the marketing really failing for it? It filled an empty void inside me with transparent sugary goodness as opposed to love. Haha. I can't believe that it's comeback is thwarted by such pale alternatives as Blue and Twist.
    I remember they changed the taste to a "New Citrus Flavor" right before it died completely. Of course even I stopped drinking it when they spoiled it's appeal with 7-up inbreeding.
    I've seen 6 packs of crystal pepsi on ebay. I pity anyone who buys them thinking that they are imperrishable. Yuck.
    I read once that a Tab CEO claims that they brought about the demise of Crystal Pepsi with their "cystal" version of Tab. Funny, I don't think many people drank REGULAR Tab enough for IT to rival Crystal Pepsi. :rolleyes:

~Ad

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What's with all these flavoured colas anyways? I can't even imagine what Pepsi Blue or Crystal Pepsi taste like..

Even Mountain Dew is new here in Finland, the stores stock pretty much only the standard stuff.

8. Tab.....Is Tab still being sold? It was real tasty for a sugar free soda beverage, but when some freak found out that very large amounts of Saccrine injected into lab rats caused cancer. Tab changed to some other artificial cancer causing sweetener and it was never the same. Jones Soda with the big bright orange truck.... Oh! how about Fanta or Fresca. Fanta and Fresca are big in Mexico. Fresca is the only soda I really like.

Fetch!

9. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    What about that new Mr. Pibb? Its called something wierd but its like cherry Dr. Pepper. But I think Vanilla Coke is best.

Someone in my Spanish class was saying Pepsi Blue even smelt bad. :eek:

10. Tab still exists and is actually doing better than say, SURGE (which has all but disappeared). Jolt and Josta still exist but are becoming rare. Mr.Pibb is still readily available. Fanta and Fresca can be found in almost every state.
    Pepsi's next big thing is going to be MR.Green, like Dr.Pepper but not. Pepsi is also going to be releasing a MT.Dew Blue Shock soda, flavored like the recent 7-11 slurpees of the same name. Seems like Coke and Pepsi are getting a bit ambitious with the slew of new cola releases. I wonder how many are going to flop.
    ~Ad

11. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    crystal pepsi was THE BOMB.

seriously.. if crystal pepsi was still around, I'd never have had to switch to Fresca (Coke product)..

good job Pepsi :p:rolleyes:

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Pepsi Blue really sucks my arse, but Vanilla Coke is pretty good and the Lemon Pepsi is good too. I was putting lemon in my Coke about 10 years ago though! Hey SuperDuck, try vanilla vodka with your regular Coke.

Hey Coke -- how about Coke with a hint (just a hint, mind you) of mint? No?

13. Never heard of Crystal Pepsi. :(

Damn these kids and their damn Nu-Sodas. Back in my day, we had coke, pepsi, sprite, and dr. pepper, and we LIKED it! :D

Isn't it funny how Dr. Pepper (Squirt Company) is the only drink that is sold just as much as Coke or Pepsi? Even with Coke ripping off Dr. Pepper (Mr. Pibb) and Pepsi now coming out with Mr. Green.

Dr. Pepper will never die, LONG LIVE CABONATED PRUNE JUICE!

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm the odd man out...I hated Crystal Pepsi. Pepsi Blue's pretty nasty too-tastes just like the blue-flavored Jolt.

Vanilla Coke is good, but not the one on the shelves. The one the greatest restaurant chain in the world has been offering for years. You guessed it-Waffle House!! They make their own and it's great.

My favorite is probably Mandarin Orange Slice, although now it's called Citrus Slice or something, and tastes slightly different.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    IHOP has been doing the same thing too! I love IHOP.

And I thought there was no Vanilla Coke to be found either. Then I realized that the packaging is so close to the original that I could look right at it and not know the difference.

16. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Josta was my favorite. It had a unique flavor.

If Clear pepsi came back I'd drink it. It wasn't as heavy as regular pepsi.

17. Has anyone heard of Mello Yello? (Can't remember how they spelt it.) They had it very briefly when i was a kid living in Japan. I have absolutely no recollection as to how it tasted. Like the name though.

18. Mello Yello? Ugh, that stuff is nasty.

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Mello Yello, that stuff that looks like chicken pee? No thanks.

Anyone else miss Josta?

20. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love vanilla coke. It is by-far my favorite soda.