1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new songs for new techniques to practice

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vyse933, Apr 18, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    right now i'm looking for songs that i should learn on bass that will challenge me..but i'll enjoy. Possibly something that encorperates something intresting...like slap..or tap..or. who knows...because i like to learn new techniques (by learning a song with that technique) could anyone recomend some recordings that are good to learn with? So far "most challenging" song i can play that i remember at the moment are

Finger style : Hysteria by muse, bombshell by operation ivy, the acoustic guitar part to good riddance by green day, lolita by mustard plug, seeman by rammstein

Slap : Higher ground

and i'm looking for something more chalenging then ^ and of course...new techniques are a good thing to try to learn.

2. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    For slap I'm kinda workin' on the Aeroplane by RHCP.Nice tune to start slappin' an popin'.Some easy parts of the Power by Marcus Miller is a great tune for thumb tech. also,hard song indeed but some simple parts I mean.

I don't know if playing super fast is a technique but if you want to play and practice a full 16th notes song,go for the Into the Lungs of The Hell by Megadeth

3. For double thumping, try The Sinister Minister by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Me and my bass guitar by Victor Wooten is a good song to practice a technique called "note, thumb, pluck"

4. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I'll go the other way. This one sounds really easy on the surface.

When you can CONVINCINGLY play Bob Marley's "I shot the Sheriff" with ALL of the little subtle stuff, you will be one groovy dude. Lots of extremely useful stuff in that song that you can apply to any style of music in almost any situation if you can assimilate it into your playing.

5. If you can play higher ground, the best step up from that I can recommmend is "Aeroplane", also by the RHCP. Theres a lot of stuff in that one, and a cool finger solo. that'll keep you going for a while :)

Edit ... oh ok. Someone already said that one..

Try some ben folds five if you like the overdriven stuff. Awesome bass work, and some of it can be pretty challenging. Try "One Angry Dwarf and Two Hundred Solemn Faces" or "Uncle Walter". Theres alot of other good bass tunes by them, but I had a lot of fun and learnt alot from those two.

6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    space cowboy-Jamiroquai is a pretty good song for getting that groove

7. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Cosmic Girl by Jamiroquia is another good groover.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Two songs on "Californication" are great for technique practice:

Straight sixteenths with a pick: "Parallel Universe."

Fingerstyle octave sixteenths with string skipping: "Right On Time."

9. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    thanks for all the advice you guys, i appreciate it

10. Dream Theater- Scarred for a good tapping exercise. Easy enough.

And if you're feeling spicy... Dream Theater - Metropolis. Goodluck!

11. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    a PICK?!

I play that with my fingers, i didn't know he used a pick atall.

12. yyz-rush amazing for fingerstyle
    and jaco stuff

13. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    I second the Rush suggestion. To play Rush well you'll need to play face and all over the neck. There is a Rush music book for bass with music notation and tabs if you don't read. Pick up a Rush Greatest hIts CD and you're in business. For sheer uniqueness, learn Jaco's stuff on Weather Report's "Heavy Weather", then teach me what you've learned---if you can play that stuff--you are excellent!

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Tis true.

15. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Playing along to 'Parallel Universe' with your fingers is a good workout!