Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New songs from both my bands

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Personator, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Both my power metal and industrial/experimental bands have mp3s up for your listening and commenting pleasure

First, Piñacoloscopy, the industrial/experimental project, these were all recorded/mixed by me, and i play keyboard/synth as well as bass:

Pwn- Weird dark drum and bass.... or something

Malcolm's realization(wma) - Our intro track, with a truly meeningless title, and even more meaningless lyrics, although they do sound cool.

And now, Suspyre, Epic European power metal from america. I didnt record this one.

I see - Almost too metal, still missing vocals.

2. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    any comments?

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yeah, the fisrt two geocities pages are missing! and i was looking forward to some dark drum n bass :)

I checked out the third track "I See" - so this isnt you playing, are you in the band now or what, did you produce it or something?

I'm gonna be honest, please dont take offence, it's only a strangers opinion :) personally I hate it, I think it's the most dreadfully dated crap I've heard in ages... the production is really 80's the drums sound like a type writer and the guitar does that bloody aweful 80's classic-metal solo thing.

but, that said, it is a very good example of what it is. it achieves what it's supposed to - there's obviously a lot of skill and time and effort gone into making the record. Just not my tastes at all :)

the playing is technically good too. Very tight (although it's easier to be tight with a zillion kick drums beats a second!), guitar & drums is especially impressive, I cant really pick out the bass - which probably mean it's tight!!

So what happened to the other tracks?

4. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Ok, i got the links working... file extensions in geocities and case sensitive.

As for I see, i did play on it, i just didnt record/produce it, i did with the other two.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, then

pwn - nice loop... about 100bpm slower than what I call drum and bass mind ;)
    bass line is nice although a little too "straight" for the groove IMO.
    i play a few drum & bass type grooves (130bpm+ breakbeats) with one of my bands and i try to use stops to maximum effect, sycopation really is key with dancy songs - although admittedly it is far from easy to play like a machine! :)

macolm's realisation- intersting track, i kind of dig this. you've done something intersting in the mix between heavy and the "electronica" (i use that term in place of something more appropriate, it's a dodgy one!) beats. experimental to the max, i appreciate that.

...and man is that vocal DARK!!! almost scary actually!!

good job on the recording too - all nicely balanced and listenable :)

6. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Thanks man. Pwn is probably better described as Dark Ambient or something, i might experiment with sincopated grooves on it.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    no worries.

one thing i forget is that musically it's all very coherant, i.e. the tracks flow really well, good writing/ composition.

i'll get some of my tracks online this weekend, some from my hard-rock band BlackSeaFire and some from Bidgie Reef & The Gas - my "alternopop" band... it's weird, best not ask?!