New songs from both my bands

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Personator, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Both my power metal and industrial/experimental bands have mp3s up for your listening and commenting pleasure

First, Piñacoloscopy, the industrial/experimental project, these were all recorded/mixed by me, and i play keyboard/synth as well as bass:

Pwn- Weird dark drum and bass.... or something

Malcolm's realization(wma) - Our intro track, with a truly meeningless title, and even more meaningless lyrics, although they do sound cool.

And now, Suspyre, Epic European power metal from america. I didnt record this one.

I see - Almost too metal, still missing vocals.

2. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    any comments?

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yeah, the fisrt two geocities pages are missing! and i was looking forward to some dark drum n bass :)

I checked out the third track "I See" - so this isnt you playing, are you in the band now or what, did you produce it or something?

I'm gonna be honest, please dont take offence, it's only a strangers opinion :) personally I hate it, I think it's the most dreadfully dated crap I've heard in ages... the production is really 80's the drums sound like a type writer and the guitar does that bloody aweful 80's classic-metal solo thing.

but, that said, it is a very good example of what it is. it achieves what it's supposed to - there's obviously a lot of skill and time and effort gone into making the record. Just not my tastes at all :)

the playing is technically good too. Very tight (although it's easier to be tight with a zillion kick drums beats a second!), guitar & drums is especially impressive, I cant really pick out the bass - which probably mean it's tight!!

So what happened to the other tracks?

4. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Ok, i got the links working... file extensions in geocities and case sensitive.

As for I see, i did play on it, i just didnt record/produce it, i did with the other two.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, then

pwn - nice loop... about 100bpm slower than what I call drum and bass mind ;)
    bass line is nice although a little too "straight" for the groove IMO.
    i play a few drum & bass type grooves (130bpm+ breakbeats) with one of my bands and i try to use stops to maximum effect, sycopation really is key with dancy songs - although admittedly it is far from easy to play like a machine! :)

macolm's realisation- intersting track, i kind of dig this. you've done something intersting in the mix between heavy and the "electronica" (i use that term in place of something more appropriate, it's a dodgy one!) beats. experimental to the max, i appreciate that.

...and man is that vocal DARK!!! almost scary actually!!

good job on the recording too - all nicely balanced and listenable :)

6. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Thanks man. Pwn is probably better described as Dark Ambient or something, i might experiment with sincopated grooves on it.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    no worries.

one thing i forget is that musically it's all very coherant, i.e. the tracks flow really well, good writing/ composition.

i'll get some of my tracks online this weekend, some from my hard-rock band BlackSeaFire and some from Bidgie Reef & The Gas - my "alternopop" band... it's weird, best not ask?!