1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by monolithic, Apr 9, 2010.

1. monolithic

monolithic

Aug 10, 2009
    Michigan
    My band, Dick Hickey, just recorded our new EP, 26 Cents, last weekend. We have 1 new song up on our myspace:
    www.myspace.com/dickhickey

Check out Locked Up and tell me what you think.
    I played a 2006 Fender MIM P-bass into a direct box. I think he had me through the Ampeg emulator software.

Just a heads up we're a Hardcore Punk band (think Black Flag, Minor Threat, The Meatmen) so don't expect any amazing skill. I'm just curious how it sounds to "outside ears". Thanks

2. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Outside ears here.

I don't listen much/at all to this type of music so I think I can provide a somewhat critical ear...

Listening/critiquing Locked up,

First thing is holy crap, what a vocalist. Does he keep that energy up as long as you play? 'Cause if he does damn, that's impressive. He goes off key every now and again though, from what I hear. Are you playing all 16ths with the guitar or are you following the drums? I can't exactly pick it out but when the drummer does that triple 16th-sounding beats on the bass drum, are you playing with him? Are you playing with your drummers beats? If you are, kudos, stay there. I like the change-up just post the chorus. Breaks up the constant "auditory assault". Not saying it's bad but songs should have a break in the energy. I think it's pretty solid, but I think the vocals need something... they just didn't do it for me. It's great when the band's playing and supporting him but when you play less aggressive, he's lacking something. Maybe instead of having him keep shouting during the less-energetic parts, he should tone it down a little in the sense of enunciating the words more accurately or string the words together more? That way, if your song had a clear cut message, he could get the point across much more efficiently and dramatically.

$0.02

3. monolithic

monolithic

Aug 10, 2009
    Michigan
    Thank you very much first of all. Not only does our singer keep that energy at shows, he far FAR surpasses it. My playing...I tend to stick to what the guitar is playing, but on that song it kinda goes back and forth. Our drummer joined the band about 3 weeks before we went to record so he and I weren't really that locked in.