1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Sound Clip of Ischell Microphone. Yup, MBOL

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie) Supporting Member

As I stated on the Ischell Mic thread:

"After moving my Ischell mic into several different places to try it, and NOT re-doing the putty 'donut', the mic gradually ended up too close to the top (or maybe right next to it), from repeatedly pushing it against the bass. The tone had gradually deteriorated to being too 'bassy' without enough clarity, such that I stopped using it for awhile.

I think it was just looking at the uneven squished up putty that got me to thinking about re-rolling the 'donut'. Then I remembered that I had some putty-setters so I took one out. After redoing the putty and verifying the height off the table with the 'putty setter' I am getting a better sound than ever. It is truly microphonic (as it should be). The highs and the clarity are back - even though I reset the EQ to 'Flat' from the default low roll-off.

I kept wondering why my piezzo 'quack' had disappered - I no longer needed to use the mid-cut. Then I realized 'DUH', I'm not using a piezzo, I'm using a mic.

Can't wait to get back to the gig and put it to the acid test. I'll be really surprised if I'm not happy with the results - and I'll be honest enough to report it one way or the other here."

So here is the clip. Straight from my Shen Gemunder to my Genz Benz 3.0 head (no pre-amp or any other 'processing') then straight to my GK 112 neo cab. The Zoom H4 was about a foot in front of the cab. I honestly don't think I ever gotten a sound that is more MBOL and it is so bloody simple. 1 mic, 1 head, 1 cab, 2 cables - that's it. Simple and cheap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Ischell likes this.
  2. Sounds great!

3. BTW what is a "putty setter"?

4. rickwolff

Hello Kaspar,

The 'putty setter' is a plastic ring with an adjustable center screw that allows you to determing the height that the microphone sits above the soundboard. Mine had gotten too close, so when I re-rolled the putty and got the mic to sit a little higher above the soundboard the sound was improved immensely.

My wife has always teased me about not reading directions. Had I paid more attention either to the written information with the mic, or the instructions on the website I would have avoided this problem.

The good news is, that now that I have the mic placed 'properly' I have fallen in love with it all over again. I will include a couple pictures from the Ischell website (Ischell.com) which show top and bottom pictures of how to do it, and HOW NOT to do it.

The first two pictures show how the 'donut' SHOULD look to place the mic slightly above the table.

The last two pictures show the donut compressed too flat, which gets the mic too close to (or against) the top.

micro_dessous_okv.JPG micro_dessus_okv.JPG micro_dessous_badv.JPG micro_dessus_badv.JPG

Here is a picture of the putty setter:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. Great, thanks for the info. Just ordered the one with the xlr out. Hope it's not gonna end in the drawer alongside the rest of the failed attempts at mbol from the past (ehrlund, Dynamic mic and so forth )

6. rickwolff

Kaspar,

Let me know how it goes. I hope you love it as much as I do.