Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Sound Clips

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Feb 20, 2005.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    http://www.paperthecity.com/RayParker/

At the top of the 'Sounds' page. I actually have some 'Stick 'O Pain' released on CD!

Anyhow -- give a listen. Kinda cool venturing into the pop world!

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Man, keep on hurtin' with that Stick. Love the arco in front of 'Alright'.

And it doesn't sound flat, either...

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :) Thanks -- but it sounded SO sharp when I was doing it. The first take would've permanently knotted your drawers!

4. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Thats some nice stuff you got going there. I need to start doing more recording. I definatly dont do as much as I want. Finding a good place to record is hard tho, and kinda expensive.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A MiniDisc recorder and a decent mic (I recommend the Audio Technica AT 822) will get you in the game for well under $501

6. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Very nice Ray. You definitely GET the genre. Terrific tone.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Thank you for that! I don't listen to enough singer/songwriter stuff and am a little insecure about it -- afraid that I'll bust out with a thick 'jazz accent' and stink up the place :)

8. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I've done a fair bit of the singer/songwriter stuff over the years, including one I've been working with for a couple of years now. Often the s/s is a real creative type that doesn't bother much with basic fake charts or chord names or anything like that. So the work can be kinda hard or long (or both) teasing out the structure of the music. You really have to bring your musicianship to bear, listening, thinking, letting go and imagining: sussing out the best way to enhance their piece.

In the tracks I listened to, Ray, you took the sensible approach: out front and pretty when needed, in behind and understated for most of the rest. I thought the producer did kind of a pop number on your sound, though -- a lot of it is just bass, not double bass (if you know what I mean.)

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Amen. We had a near scene over that...