New Sound?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Aug 9, 2002.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was just curious to see if anybody feels like you go through phases with your sound. I've found that over the 19 years of playing, I've tried to overhaul my sound and gear about every 5 years or so. Anybody else do this?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - In all the years, I've been through the "chameleon phases" (oooh, gotta have a Hofner to sound like McCartrney, gotta have an EB3 to sound like Bruce, gotta have a Rick to sound like Squire, gotta have a Portaflex to sound like Jamerson, blah, blah).

But, when phases were over, they all became influences and I just sound like "me", for better or worse. It gets influenced by the others but the foundations don't change.

I think the saddest thing is a bassist who doesn't stay critical of their tone.
  3. on a day to day basis my opinion of my tone changes. one day i'll set it just right and it'll sound just the way i want it and then the next morning or even the next time i pick up my bass i can't stand it. but that's just with my fretted. my fretless never has this problem and i have no idea what causes it. but i don't yet have enough money to overhaul my gear or otherwise i would.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I go through the phases. Unfortunately, my money doesn't. For instance, I really wanted to switch Pre-amps a while ago, but couldn't, and sorta do now.

More than anything, just to see what else is out there. I'd love to try and EBS pre-amp, or an Aggie or Demeter.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I always had an idea of what I wanted my tone to be, I don't use effects, I knew it when i first heard it through my rig that I had found it. Honestly, if I could just have one volume pot on my bass it would be good.... in theory.... however every time i go into a different room, my tone changes... and I have to find it again.. sometimes it is right there, other times the room is so dead I can't seem to get anything to sound good.. and despite my major gas pains at times, i know its not my gear so I just go with it.... but of course... my ear may change in a year and I may hate my tone.... I hope not, I've spent enough money on gear this summer. :)
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i know exactly what tone i strive for....

...i just can't AFFORD IT!

so whenever i want a slightly different sound, i experiment with my right hand.

right now, i'm going through a pick phase (well, i plan on it being longer than just a phase...).

i'd love to change most all of my gear (save for my bass), but it isn't necessarily in the same vein as RAM described.