Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Sound??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitey, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Whitey

Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    This may not be the most appropriate place to place this but I am in desperate need for immediate feedback and this seems to be the most used forum, so please moderators let this one slip for a while so I can get some help.I may replace the pickups in my P/J combo. I like the sound I get from the ones in it, but their not quiet hot enough and don't get that much volume. What could I replace them with to get a good sound? Something like the MM sound or P Bass sound that's fat with the growl of a Jazz bass. Replies??? Emergency!!!
    I need some feedback as I am getting ready to make a trip to town where the music store I deal with is and it is about 2 hours away. I wanted to pick up what I needed there. So can some of you all please give me some feedback to help me with my choices as I am not the most educated person with the Bass since I have only been playing for aobut 2 years and haven't done any modifications. Thanks
    Whitey

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    what are you playing this bass through?

are they passive? what brand?

preamp? head? cabs? direct?

recording? live?

so many questions.

f

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It's a bit iffy to give any advice on changing your pickups based on what we know so far. Perhaps it's better to look att upgrading your small amp to something that will provide a bigger better sound instead?

4. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    ahh, i checked the profile for info on his/her gear.

i agree the amp is most likely not providing the tone.

you may want to try a preamp pedal like a sansamp, sadowsky, aguilar or others first.

get it from a guitar center if you can. if it doesn't work, return it.

f

5. Whitey

Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    It is a Rogue Bass LX200B. It sounds better than the Squiers that I have had, and as good as an American Fender P Bass that I've owned. Not as good as my current Fender Jazz though. I play through an SWR Workingmans 12 with the Sansamp Bass DI. My comparisons have been made to the other basses I have had played through the same set up. It is just that these pickups don't have as much volume as I need. They don't seem to be as hot, as the others. Hope this info helps.
    Whitey

6. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    since you have to drive 2 hours to your music store of choice...

i'd call them first and ask what they have available.

since you already use a sansamp, maybe some new pups ARE in order. dunno for sure.

find out what they have and post the info so we can have a go at it.

f