Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new Spalt vViper pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Mar 2, 2003.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Interesting.. I like that bass.. The movable pickup is wierd.. but I imagine it can come in somewhat usefull

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ooooooo....me likey! How's it sound?

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    sounds great.

custom Bartolini blade PUP.

you shoulda seen the fretless bubinga vViper.

ACK....i was waiting for Michael Spalt to look away so i could grab that one too.

mmmmmmm.

his setups are near perfecto.

plus, i got to take my MODINE in for a tune up.

f

4. Oh...I love those lamps from target. I've got a couple myownself!

The bass? Oh yah, finished well. Just doesn't strike the same chord as the matrix ones though. At least there's some real thinking going on, and a lack of caring what anyone else says.

5. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    just curious,

does anyone else think it looks like an Ernie Ball/MM Bongo? Mostly in the upper-horn region?

anyways...

sweet bass

6. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    this is a proto, still under development by the way.

man, this sucker plays like a dream.

i think Spalt necks are some of the finest around!!!!!

f

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Did you get to check out the singlecut proto? I think I liked the looks of that one better, but I suppose this makes more sense.

My guitarwall is getting envious of yours...

8. meltsakana

meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    Fred Hodshon,
    the basses you possess are fantastic. I want them to be mine. Please alert me if you ever decide to sell some of them.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Nice piece. Just out of curiosity, what's the advantage to having the movable p'up? I imagine that when it's close to the bridge, you can get a great tone soloing.

10. one_skunk

one_skunk

Apr 30, 2001
    florida
    THATS NICE, and its a SPALT ??!? ;) :) :D

11. Wow, thats excellent. All the other Spalts I've seen have looked disgusting (IMO), but this one looks very nice. I like the pickup idea.

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I don't mean to be critital of Michael's wiper design Fred but this concept is hardly innovative. Rick Turner's Model I basses were designed in 1980 with the pickup mounted on a rotating plate so you could have a choice of essentially a "P" or "Reverse P" pickup location or any point in between.

It also is more functional in my opinion since the pivot point is centered between the strings and not on one side as in Michael's design. Do you know if Michael has built any with the pivit point on the other side thus allowing more travel on the treble side?

The elongated upper horn is a great idea as the singlecut prototype Michael brought to my shop had balance issues which I'd assume is not an issue anymore correct?

Turner Model I Photo
    [​IMG]

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    It's an interesting idea, and I love that someone is doing some thinking and some innovation.

It looks like the full up position might be the same as a "P" position. My question is about the down position. It looks like the E string is at a "J" position, or even a little closer to the bridge, but the G is not even close to a "J" position. How does it sound down there? Do the strings sound balanced tonally? It's kind of the opposite of the slant used by Roscoe (and maybe others):
    [​IMG]

I guess the ultimate would be to have a pickup mounted on a turntable to get any angle, like the Turner, and have the turntable mounted on rails to get any position, like the Westone, the Grabber (I think), and some others.

One interesting bass was one someone made with a pickup mounted on rails, and actuated by a stepper motor. You could jog it to any position, from bridge to just short of neck, plus you could store several preset positions that could be jumped to immediately. It also had a fixed pickup in a J-neck position, so you could get a two-pickup sound out of it. I don't have a picture of it, though.

Atlansia has a one-coil-per string pickup, where the individual pickups turn. My guess is that this provides a change from a wide-aperture field to a narrow-aperture field:

[​IMG]

14. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    this is the way Michael explained it to me...makes sense...

"...of course movable pickups have been around for a very long time - even before Turner. The Turner design and mine attempt something quite different - both are valid takes on moving your pickup. Steve rightly pointed out that Rick's pickup rotates around a pivot centered in the middle of the strings and offers what Steve calls a "P" and reverse "P" position. Two obvious differences... one is the fact that the range of tonalities you can achieve is much narrower than the vViper design, two - the travel along the harmonic nodes which is one of the points of the vViper design, does not happen. In essence the Turner pickup is really stationary as far as this aspect of positioning is concerend, it will offer slight variations in the coloration of tone and reproduction of harmonic overtones and fundamentals - the vViper is designed to maximize the effect of tonal changes and harmonic shifts while retaining a quick and simple way of placing the pickup in the desired position. I could pull out some graphs, but that's getting into too much technical stuff..."

just a report from the field.

f

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The first sliding-pup bass that I remember was the Gibson Grabber from the late 70's... was that the first overall? I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Didn't Alembic offer sliding p'ups in the very early 70's as well?

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Yes, The first sliding pickup that I am aware of was on Alembuc #001 made by Rick Turner in 1971 for Jack Casady.

Fred, Do you know if Michael has researched mouting his system in reverse with the pivot point on bass side instead of the treble side?

ps: I also want to state here that I'm not "throwing darts" at all at this design. I think his "design" is very innovative. It's the "concept" of a movable pickup that is not IMO. I totally appreciate and respect Michael Spalt and his work very much. I'm just wondering if he's tried it in the reverse which I'm sure would yield a different tonal range from string to string since it would allow the most travel on the upper string vs the lower strings as in the current design.

pps: My first "real" bass was a new '77 Gibson Grabber with the sliding pickup in it.