1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new speaker break in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P bass guy, Jun 4, 2014.

1. I bought some stereo speakers a while back. The store only sells what's on the shelves, nothing boxed in the back. When I asked the guy about this he told me "the advantage is they've already been broken in to some extent" which I thought was a crock but can see now it wasn't. Thought I had noticed some difference on the high end, on some high soprano/alto vocal parts it used to have a ringy kind of quality on some higher frequencies that don't seem to be there now. I've been playing them for about 4 months now and there seems to be an improvement in overall sound, but especially in the higher tones/overtones.

2. Yikes, so it is a can of worms I've opened here.

Seriously a lot of good information here. I appreciate all the info.

I live in an apartment building, so as much as my neighbors might enjoy 24 hours of 30 hz, I'm glad to hear it's not absolutely necessary.

Thanks everybody.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I couldn't follow a word of this but it sure sounds smart and that's good enough for me so I absolutely agree sir. :)

jmattis likes this.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Most all of the "break in" is just your ears getting familiar with the cab's sound.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    A very astute observation that is often responsible for a variety of opinions that hold some truth but not for the reasons often perpetuated. A two point winner here!

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Have you ever considered using the proper shims and installing a new dust cap once the glue cures? That's the gold standard for doing it right, and it's way easier too.