Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New speaker for my Carvin 115???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Apr 8, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Yes unfortunatly i bought a carvin RL115, and yes it is good for practice and light band playng, but trying to get through a loud drummer, two guitars and a singer, it was just pathetic listening to my speaker FAIL. it couldnt handle my low A (sometimes Ab or even Gb) Now i undwerstand all those "dont buy carvin cabs!" posts you guys have been giving out.

question, should i:
    1- buy a more powerful speaker for this cab?
    2- get the carvin 118 (probaly not a choice)
    3- get another completely different 15 or 18 cab?

i would really love a cab that would handle the low notes at high volumes, ANY suggestions????????????????????

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    put a new speaker in the same cab. Get an ElectroVoice Speaker!!!

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Bad move to choose another speaker for the same cab based solely on brand name.

All speakers, even different models within the same manufacturer, have different qualities that the cabinet space in which they are used are tuned to. Eminence makes Carvin speakers, to specifications that Carvin requests. Its enclosures are designed and tuned with those specifiations in mind. If you were to put another Eminence speaker in there, it might conflict with the enclosure's tuning, and give you some very undesireable effects.

If the speaker isn't doing it for you, you would likely be best off with a total different cabinet altogether. Just moving up to an 18" isn't going to fix your problem either, as most of the difference between a 15 and an 18 is HOW FAR they throw - if its for your amp that you use to hear yourself, you'd better be standing at least 15 or 20 feet away from the 18" speaker to really get its impact.

Everybody has their own opinion. Mine is that your speaker, cabinet and all, is farting out because it isn't a quality speaker & cabinet combination. Go purchase yourself a quality cab like an Aguilar, Eden, Bergantino, EA, Mesa, etc. etc. and your problems will be solved.

4. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    thanks for your input. i already had considered the specs for the speaker and the space in the cab it requires. i was going to get a speaker the had similar specs as the carvin.

as for the 18, i know it handles lows better than a 15, but the throw makes the choice tougher. i also pair the 15 with a ampeg 8x10, and was going to pair the 18 (or 15) with a new 2x10. would that help the throw issue or make it worse?

thanks again for your help