Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Speaker Instead of New Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Sep 30, 2000.

1. Found out why my Hartke 1415 combo sounds low in power and muddy on the deep end. Took the box apart and discovered not a 4ohm Hartke 15" driver inside, but an EV "Force 15" 8ohm PA style speaker... (And the combo's head is, of course, 4ohms.)
    Had bought the thing three years ago, used, (and me inexperienced,) and had always thought that its less than perfect sound was the problem of my (also used) cheaper basses. But when the tone problem persisted after I got my brand new Warwick (that sounded so great in the store on a large rack-mounted Peavy set-up), I began to suspect the 1415 combo... Hey, that damn beautiful Warwick sounds better not plugged in in my house, sounds fantastic just accousticly, so why should all that good stuff disappear when going thru the amp? (Duhhhhh!)
    Anyhow, some thoughtful tech reps over at Hartke have gotten me a Hartke OEM 15" aluminum cone replacement driver at a very reasonable price, so at least I'll be able to hear how the combo is supposed to sound before I make any further decisions...

Advice on Hartke: Use the web! The tech reps you can contact via that route are considerate and helpful. If you try phoning there's a receptionist who A). Doesn't know what he's talking about, and, B). thinks it's his job to run interference between musicians and the company!
    Greywoulf