New speaker into an older cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Sep 23, 2000.

1. Would it sound okay if I replaced the older paper cone 15" speaker in my Hartke 1415 combo cab with a newer, more modern one? (Current speaker breaks up, muddies too easily.)

What brand speaker would you recommend? I'm using a Warwick FNA (active) bass with a MM style single pickup. I am still using the (separate) Hartke 1400 140w head, but will probably switch to an SWR Bass 350 head, or something similar, soon.

Reasons to keep this cab:
    1] Save $$$.
    2] It's compact, carpet covered, rear ported, low to the ground and not too heavy, and I added castors.
    3] The shelf where the amp used to be might make a good rack space for an effects processor someday.
    4-5-6-7] Save $$$.

Reasons to dump it and get a new cab:
    1] It will not sound good no matter what I put in it...

What do you think?
  2. To be honest, that's the thing that niggles me when people attempt to pop a woofer into a cab designed for a different woofer. I don't think it's as much an exact science for cabs as it is for home audio speakers, so the end result may sound ok, but at this freq or that freq, it may sound like utter crap, or be very weak, or boomy. Whatever you come up with, it will at least have the distinction of being UNIQUE ;)
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If the cab is in perfect shape, I would suggest you get a "Parts Express" catalog, and order a 15" Aluminum Driver...
    IT is a direct Hartke replacement , and it is said to sound even better.
    I think its worth a try.