Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New speakers for SVT 810 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fealach, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I'm wondering about the feasability of putting new speakers in my old Ampeg SVT 810 cab. It's a super old cab, square back, dolly, funny XLR type jack. I've heard they were low wattage, so I haven't played it loud. It doesn't buzz or anything, very well made cab. I'd like a clearer sound, more bass response, and better power handling.

I'd thought of getting a new cab, but I've had no luck selling this one and it is such a well made cab I had the thought of replacing the speakers instead. Any suggestions?

Looked at Eminence's web site, they have quite a range of speakers, I don't really know how to interpret all the specs. Would it be a good idea, assuming I could afford it, to put in 4 subwoofer speakers and 4 more focused on full range? The cab has 4 sealed chambers, I'd put the same type of speakers together.

Alternately, money being a consideration, would I see a big improvement if I waited until I found an Eden 410 cheap enough and used those speakers ( I have 4 Eden speakers already without a cab)?

One last thing... since I have 4 Eden 10's already, what would happen if I put 1 in each of the sealed compartments, leaving the other speaker opening empty?

If it looks like I'd need to spend as much as a new high end cab I'll drop the idea, but then I'll be stuck with a big cab I don't really have any use for.

I hope the thought of changing the speakers in this cab doesn't upset people as much as my mentioning that I had changed the pickups in my Rickenbacker.

2. The only currently manufactured 10 on the market that will work as designed in that cab is the eminence legend bp102, but it will sound very similar to what you already have. You will never get a clear sound with lots of lows out of sealed 10's. 10's are all about midrange punch, especially sealed 10's. I'd look at hi-fi 12's for the sound you describe. Bergantino and Epifani seem to be the brands to get these days for that sound, so you might want to start looking there.

3. I'm not upset but it does creep me out a tad. :eek:

How much were you asking for it? Would you want to drive it down to Nashville?? We could go honky-tonkn' and everythang! :D

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That would be a bad idea. First, you can't just drop a driver into a box and have it work; the box must be the correct size for the driver specs. Worse, a sub driver will likely have a far lower SPL than an MI driver, so the levels would be mis-matched.

Chances are slim that they'd work better than an 8x10, at least in the bottom end; halving the cone area is seldom an improvement. If they have longer Xmax then they may equal the output of the SVT, which is quite possible depending on the age of the SVT. Why not just build a box for them, or have it done for you? Then sell the SVT.

That's not true, but more to the point: Why change drivers? What would you then do with the old ones? That SVT has value, so again I'd sell it and build or have built a cabinet for the Eden drivers that you have on hand rather than have them collect dust.

5. Eminence (Electro Harmonix) makes the 10" replacements and are 100W 32 ohm. Try Fliptops.

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I had been looking for $475 for it, I wouldn't want to lose much more money on it. I thought I got it at a good price, maybe I was mistaken. People might have put off by the looks, previous owner ripped off the tolex and stained the wood. It just turned out not to be quite what I want sonically, but I can live with that as it does sound good. The biggest thing is the power handling, I had heard the early cabs were only 240 watts or so, so I do not want to be constantly worrying about every little noise, making the band stop playing so I can listen to my speakers to see if they are in distress.

If I ran this cab with another cab, would there be less of a load on these speakers? I'm not sure how that works. I wish I had the tools and knowledge to build a box! I'd have a bunch of cabs like my Isovent then.

I'll check out fliptops. Thank you all for the good advice.

7. How much power does your amp have? What's it truly capable of continuously outputting? Maybe your concern is unwarranted? Maybe you should show up at practice 15 minutes early and test it?

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Maybe you just don't want an 810...instead of trying to make it into what you want, you might be better off to go and check out different cabs until you find one you like. The 810 surely isn't a deep cab, frequency-wise. If that is what you want, you should get one to do it.
    There is no sense trying to stuff a V-8 into a VW bug just because you have the engine and the VW....and you want a hotrod.

Not really, in general, sealed cabinets use a certain set of optimized parameters, and those don't necessarily correspond with optimized "subwoofer speakers", which are usually vented box speakers. Might or might not even be reasonably decent, requires "design work" to predict that.

"subwoofer" speakers do not a subwoofer make....its the cabinet plus speakers.

As far as leaving one speaker out, you might as well mount them in an open back amp. They will be vulnerable to the cones moving too far and damaging the drivers.

If you wanted, you COULD put a cover over the other speaker hole, and design a vent to work with the volume and the parameters of your other speakers. That way you could return to stock if needed/wanted.

9. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

BINGO!, Thats what I would recommend. I replaced mine with these drivers. They would KILL! in a squareback. Call Corey at www.rockcityguitars.com