1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New speakers in Gollehon cabs...questions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scootron, Apr 27, 2009.

1. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Thanks to a trade and a good buy from a couple of fellow TBers, I have a couple of nifty Gollehon 1x10 cabs and a couple of GK Goldline 10" speakers to load into them. The overall goal is to give myself some versatility by adding these to my 215, 115 and 210. I'd like to be able to play with a 1x10 sometime, and stack the 1x10s .

The speakers in these Gollehons work, but need to be replaced. They have a crossover network, and have small Peavey tweeters in them. Each is also wired with in and out jacks so that it can be daisy chained to the other. Each also has a port cut into the baffle board. There is no tube in either port.

The Goldlines I intend to use are aluminum cone and, depending upon where you look, have a range of either 30hz or 37hz to 7khz. They are 8 ohm speakers. That I know for sure.

I have several questions, and I am hoping the experts here can lend some advice.

1. One possiblility is to remove all current wiring and simply wire the new speakers to a new jack, bypassing the tweeters and the daisy chain capability. Is this Option #1 the best bet?

2. If I follow Option #1, and wanted to use both cabs, would I just plug each into outputs 1 and 2 of my SVT-3 Pro? Would my amp read these 2 8-ohm cabs as a total 4-ohm load?

3. What would be the pros and cons of leaving the tweeters functional? Would it substantially affect the impedance?

4. If I left the daisy chain capability and daisy chained them (the cabs say they are wired parallel), would they be read by my amp as a total 4-ohm load? Would that improve my amp's performance? (It might make it more versatile if I needed to use an amp source sometime that only had one out.)

5. I assume that I need to use the formula to calculate the proper size of the port to make sure it is correct. Right? Do I need to find a plastic tube to extend the port back into the cab?

6. Are there any other pitfalls I should worry about? I realize that sticking a speaker into a cab it wasn't designed for is to some extent a "hit or miss" proposition, but right now I need an economical option and project cabs are the only way for me to go. (I tried refurbishing a sealed 2x10 not too long ago, and was remarkably lucky with the results...a cabinet that sounds better than I could have ever imagined. I am hopeful I didn't use up all my good fortune there.)

Any and all advice or comments would be sincerely appreciated. This is an area in which I know absolutely nothing, so if technical language is required, please keep that in mind.

Thanks a bunch. I will return the favor to someone who knows less than I do about something, should that poor individual be found.

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Leave the wiring in if you are going to use the tweeters. You need the crossover or your tweeter will be toast in seconds. Do they have an L-pad? if so, turn the bottom one off when stacking. You only need the one tweeter.
    Have someone measure the backline internal volume and port length to see how close you are to the Gollehon cab. That's easier than the math. The harder way is to get the T/S speaker specs from GK and throw them into a speaker design program and adapt the new cabs as necesary.
    Two 8 ohm cabs daisy chained (either from one cab to another, or a cable to each from the amp) is ging to be 4 ohms. The crossover network remains 8 ohms even with a tweeter attached to it, as long as you replace the Gollehon woofer with a woofer of the same impedence.
    As usual, replacing drivers in boxes that it wasn't designed for is hit or miss. If you already have the stuff, just try it. If it sounds bad, and you know that you like the sound of the backline speakers loaded in other cabs, make yours match that box size and port.
    Wes