Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New speakers, should i make my 2x10 8 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Feb 13, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, i have an avatar 2x10 and i sent out my order for 2 new speakers since my old ones blew out. It was 4 ohms and i asked for 8 ohms, to make 4 ohms again. Should i ask for 16 to make it 8 ohms? That way when i add a cab it will be 4 ohms?

I have a QSC PLX 1202. The cab will be 600 watts either way, so if i make it 8 ohms, it will run bridged at 700 watts. Just enough head room. And when i add another cab i can run them together at 4 ohms at 1600 watts or them both seperate at 700 still.

Should i sent avatar an email and ask them to send me out some 16 ohm-ers?

Im thinking so.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I think since you blew the old 8 ohm models that a set of 16 ohm models might last longer (at the expense of not being as loud because they draw less power).

3. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    i think im going to because it will be better to put 700 watts into it rather than 1200.

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    yeah.... that'd be a much better plan. Plus, like you said, you'd have the versatility to add another cab on... which is always helpful. More speaker surface will make you much louder.... and with Avatar, it wont cost you much at all.

5. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Ahhhh, avatar wont have delta 10" in 16 ohms in till about a month from now.

What should i do???

6. If you blew your speakers I would say that that tells you you need more speakers. I would wait and get the 16ohm to make your cab 8ohm and if you have the cash get another 8ohm cab or rent another cab for those loud gigs.

7. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    yeah, i need to get my cab up and running again though. i asked him if they had any other 10" 16 ohms there that i could get. ill have to wait and see what he says.

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The Pro's dont cost that much more, do they? I havent checked...

But's your money dude. The Pro's would also give you more power handling. I think two them make a cab at 1000Watts RMS.

9. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana

if i go to 1000 watts then i can bridge at 4 and be at 1200 watts and not need 8 ohms....Talk about a pickle.

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    True.... but you WANT to leave the door open for you to add another cab in the future. 1200Watts is loud... but you'd rather have that running through a 210/115 or 210/212 rather than just a 210 all at once.

I checked, and the Pro's arent too much more. If you REALLY need em now, it wouldnt really hurt the wallet all that bad to get those instead.

11. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    yeah, i hate to say it but it looks like im going to wait a whole month for my speakers.

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ouch... that's rough. Ah well... it'll be all-the-more sweeter when they arive, I guess. Stick with 8ohms, and add some bigger speakers in the future. :smug:

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    8 ohms for sure. you'll get no real volume increase bridging into a 4 ohm cab (minor if any), and you'll be more likley to blow it again. and flexibility is the way to go. 8 ohm cabs rule. :cool: