Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickben, Jul 10, 2002.

1. i was told that you cant replace speakers in cabs because it wount sound right.thats what i got from talkbass.i was at another web site and they were selling 10 and 15 from a well know speakers maker.well know for bass and guaitre the name slpis my mind.why cant i buy these speakers and use them.were i foundout about this page the person said they bought the speakers and used them.and they worked great

2. Yeah, they told me not to do it either. Never gave a real reason, but id still like to know.

3. like i its the big name speaker maker starts with a e.i am looking at one of the 15 inch and the 10 inch with the bulit in tweeter

4. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Huh?

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    A speaker cab was designed specifically for the driver that it came with. Not all 10" (or 15", etc) drivers are alike - in fact they can be quite different in a number of important ways. One might sound good in a certain box and the other will sound horrible. If you buy a replacement of a different type and throw it in you're taking a gamble, that's all.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    There is alot to why one speaker will work in one cab but not another, but Ill try to give a simplified explanation.

Basically different speakers have a different resonant frequency, diffrernt excursion limit, different everything that determines how it moves when electricity flows through their coils.

How they react to this energy determines how they move. How they move is how they sound.

In fre air (not in a box) their performance is terrible since they flap around too much, so you put them in a box to give them stability.

The stability comes from the air inside the box cushoning the speaker, limiting its movement. When you do this you get less distortion. What decides how big you make the box is the speakers properties, and different speakers have different properties.

A box that may have been suitable for one speakers may not be suitable for the next.

Peace
    Nick

7. then why do they sell replacement speakers and in ads great to upgrade too.

8. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    correct/quote me if im wrong. im using random noggin knowledge. but lets say you have a crate amp and crate only uses one kind of speaker, now if you blow that speaker you wouldnt wanna go buy a new amp so they sell replacements, so you look at the kind of speaker and find a match buy it and put it in.taa daa, (just a guess and i dont know how many brands of speakers crate uses)

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    >If you buy a replacement of a different type and >throw it in you're taking a gamble, that's all.

I agree. I have gambled and won twice. The speakers might sound even better in a custom tuned cab, but they sound very good in my cabs. Once I lost. I learned that open back cabs are definitely not for bass.
    :) I will probably continue to gamble because I like messing around with speakers but if I had a ton of $ I would buy a properly tuned cab. Use a direct replacement speaker whenever possible.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Because unfortunately they can make money off of it.

I bet half the time the speakers are crap and if you complain they'll just blame it on box tunning problems and say its the boxes fault, not the speakers.

Its a shame we have people like that, but what can you do?

Lil Bass Kid and Jon Dog have solid comments too.

Peace
    Nick