Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new Spector 2003 UPGRADE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jan 16, 2003.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, ok, i was real psyced when i heard about the new pre amps they were putting in thier basses. obp1 was it? i don't remember. But now i go to see the price list, and it says, and i quote

"Passive EMG-HZ USA EMG pickups with Spector Active Tone Circuit (new 2003 upgrade), "

Is this a good thing?So they went from emg circut, the other one (aguliar? can't remember the name, let alone spell it.) and now to this. Is this used in the usa models or something? I just found it weird, one year, use one preamp, then the next, just drop it.

Am i the only one confused? has anyone else seen this?

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    is this only on the USA models? or the even on the Czech models..

DM

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I was looking at the RE-BOP!!!. But yes, it seems so. from the lowest priced Czech they have, all the way to the top.,,, i guess.

Man, would not that be AWESOME if they started useing the spector pre's they use in the USA Neck thru models? oh man,, anyone know about this? COME ON, some spectorite HAS to know....

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :confused:
    I am quite the spector lover, etc., but I can't seem to figure out the situation on the pre-amps any better than you folks. I have emailed Spector's product manager asking to shed some light on the issue, so I'll post whatever i get for a response here.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    do let us know! I don't understand why they dumped the OBP-1 so quick! and why upgrade to the USA pre's instead of going back down to the Emg active tone circut! I'm just so confused!:confused:

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Seeing as how i posted this thread at 2 in the morning, I'm gonna give it a little bumparoo, because i want as MANY people to know about this as possible.
    i LOVE spectors,,, you know whats sad is, i don't even own one.....

ALL PEOPLE MUST KNOW ABOUT THE NEW "UPGRADE". .........

So bump!

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hmm. I have a feeling it's going to be an overseas preamp. Also, I think it's a bad idea. The OBP-1 is a killer pre-ampo & it was IMO, a much better preamp then then EMG-BTS that were originally in the Czech basses. :(

If it's the USA Pre-amp's that's a weird move. The HAz Lab pre that they're using is expensive I personally liked the OBP-1 better.

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    OK folks! Here's the word back from Spector on the electronics situation.
    I think this pretty much clears things up!

9. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    That makes me really glad that I bought a NS4CRFM when I did. Gard hooked me up back in November with mine and it is my #1 bass now. The aguilar preamp really has a fat tight bottom that sits so well in a mix. It also records better than any of my other basses I've ever owned. It seems to me that this downgrade is probably a cost reduction area perhaps? I prefer the Aggie over the U.S. preamp. Maybe if Spector is listening they will offer it as an option for the Czechs.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Sure does! thinks for that! This is better.... at least I think so... maybe not to others....

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh wait,,, NO IT'S NOT!! 9VOLT? 9VOLT MY A$$!!!!!!!! oh well.

12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    You can pump that 9v BT circuit up to 18v for next to nothing...and it makes your bass sound like a USA, no kidding!

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah yeah, i know about the easy 18 volt upgrade, but i thought it only worked on EMG active tone circuts? Ive looked at the page alot, and even if i could,,, i mean,,, why wouldn't i just go for a used one with an OBP-1 in it?

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    This news makes my heart sink. I wanted a Czech 5 for my next bass when I have the $$$, but I would want only the EMG or Aguilar pre. Though I admit I haven't heard the 'NEW' replacement, I'm skeptical at best right now. :(

15. Got my Czech just in time it seems!

16. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I pulled the quick 18 volt upgrade on my 2000 Q5 yesterday. It has the EMG-Hz passive pups/active circuit and it improved the slap and pop tone adn response dramatically. Increased the headroom a bit too. I was definately worth teh effort IMHO. Only took 10 minutes.:)

17. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'm definitely wanting to buy a used one now. I'd rather deal with a model I'm familiar with.