Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Spector arrives! Plus family pics.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by incognito89x, Jun 15, 2005.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    A day early even! Quite excited to hear the FedEx guy knock today. Wasn't scheduled to come til tomorrow.

New one here is a Spector NS-JH5 compliments of Mike (mchildree @ TB)

This bass is amazing. The tone is so smooth, but doesn't lack any punch at all. It's not nearly as growly as the bubinga 4 I've got, but the punch is excellent, if not better than the 4. Great clean tone. The D string sounded a little dead so I think a string change is in order, but boy is this a nice sounding bass. I was also surprised with how light this bass is. Of course after playing lots of Warwicks and then the Bubinga bodied ReBop I can see why it may seem a lot lighter, but I think this has to weigh a good 2 pound less than the 4 stringer :p Glad I've got a pair of comfort strapps :)

Of course it doesn't exist unless there are pics... so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the family shot

[​IMG]

G.A.S. is temporarily relieved. We'll see how long that lasts though.

2. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Congrats on the new bass. It used to be mine so I know all about what a groove machine it is. Enjoy tha bass! :bassist:

3. You have my favorite Spectors. Very Sweet!

I want that ReBop 4 SO bad. ;)

4. GAS temporarily relieved for you perhaps...hmph :spit: ;)

I like it! Congrats.

5. Two Spectors without dot markers - they make a stunning pair. You never know, leave them together overnight and you may end up with a new one-string in nine months time :rollno:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Beautifful pair, im confused about the bubinga one , is it the euro bolt on (ie: rebop?) u mention in profile? If so, i didnt know they made bubinga ones with jazzes? Is it a custom order?

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Sweet basses! I've always thought about trying the J/H combos, but never see them around. I still love my euro though. :D You are a fortunate man!

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Nice! Seems like that bass has had quite a few owners here on TB. I'm not one of them, but I almost was. ;)

9. I love the looks of that bass and it's so light! I owned that bass for about 6 months and decided I really didn't need the low B and I missed my p-bass. Congrats, enjoy! :bassist:

10. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    GAS cured for you....... I know lotsa people here is going to get more GAS...jajajaja

Nice basses!!!!!

11. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    yeah - what's the deal with the spector copy of a warwick copy of a spector? :confused: (anyone who says the warwick streamers are NOT a copy of a spector... :rollno: )

12. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    whicked cool finish and top my man. Congrats

13. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Pretty much. It was an ebay score a while back. There's a thread around here somewhere (I think if you search for "Bubinga spector" it may show up). The auction claimed, and a couple TB'ers comfirmed that it was one of two basses built with that particular wood combo. Stuart Spector supposedly has the other one. I don't know exactly what they were made this way for or why there were just the two, but I saw it on the 'bay and knew I had to have it. It has Dimarzios in it rather than the usual EMG's as well. I may change them back to EMG's at some point though.

edit: here it is. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178229&highlight=bubinga+spector

14. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Post some sound clips, if you have the means. I really want to hear the single/dual coil modes of the EMG TW pickup.

-Eric.

15. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I'll try to get some clips up of it soon.

16. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Yeh, I asked PJ at Spector...two prototypes were made, Stuart has the other one, no plans for regular production at this time, though...Eduardo over on the Spectobassclub@yahoo.com was asking about it, I told him there's a lineup if you ever go to sell it...I think I've got 3rd or 4th dibs, I forget... :D

17. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Hehe yeah, I don't see it happening any time soon though :p Aside from the weight this bass is perfect. It has great playability, the tone is amazing, the feel and balance is great, there's nothing I don't like about this bass. I just wish I had a twin 5 stringer :p

18. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i believe Spector sold the rights to Warwick to copy the body shape many years ago.so yes Warwick copy Spector. :bassist:

19. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Sold or licensed? Either way, the Streamer is an NS body.

20. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    oh jeebus they look beautiful together.

nice score

im jealous.
    -Alex