Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Spector Euro 5 LX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Curry, May 19, 2004.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    For all of you Spector lovers. Have you heard of the new Euro LX series? They are pretty much the same design with a few differences...

- 3 piece body wings; Figured Maple, Walnut, Aldur
    - Lighter in weight due to the Aldur back.

The different woods are only apparant if you get in a natural oil or lighter transparent finish. But the weight is nice and the fundamental is a bit stronger. It's an awesome instrument.

Anyway, here's some pictures of one of the first Euro 5 LX in Natural Oil that I just received yesterday, there are only 3 of these at the time of me writing this, other than the prototype.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just to clear one thing up, no, it doesn't come with gold knobs. I add those to my Spectors after I get it.

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    smashing
    do u know how much those are gonna sell for?

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Well, that really depends on where you buy it from. I'm not a dealer or anything so I couldn't tell you. But I know that they are slightly less expensive than the standard Euro. You can check the Spector web site to see what the retail prices are.

Spector Web Site

I can tell you that Guitar Center sells the Euro 5 for around $1500 and the Euro 4 for around $1400. My best guess is that the LX's will be around $100 less than the standard Euro by the time it hits the store.

4. Wow! Someday, I'll have one. My first Euro 5 needs a little sister.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Wow..that looks very nice. That should solve the weight and neckdive problems nicely. Now if they'd just flatten out the neck a bit to get away from that Louisville slugger profile , it would be a Spector I could dig!

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    It is noticably lighter. I didn't even have to pick up my original Euro-5 to know. I've never had any neck-dive problems with my original Euro-5 either, so I can't say anything about that. I do know that the rear strap pin has been placed a little lower to compensate for the weight difference in the body to keep the balance nice. The neck is pretty much the same, big and beefy, but that's what I like.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What about it makes it less than the normal Euro series?

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats! I'm surprised it's actually less $ than the Euro 5. I have'nt had the chance to try the Euro-5 out, how's the B-string? I'll keep an eye peeled at my local G.C.. :hyper:

My Spector is the forerunner to the Euro-Series, it's an NS4CRFM. Same bass, different name. IMO it's a very balanced bass. I noticed the NS-2J I tried had some neck dive, possibly due to it's really light swamp ash body. After being a P-Bass guy for many years (I still am!), the Spector's neck feels very comfortable to me...

Nice bass!!!

9. The LX costs less because the price of figured maple has gone up quite a bit, I've been told.

10. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    The LX costs less because of the body woods. It has an alder back, figured maple top, and a walnut strip down the middle. The standard Euro has a solid figured maple body.

The LX is balanced very nicely.

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Way to go. The LX's are nice and they are a little warmer in tone in my opinion.

12. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Yeah, the tone is a little woodier and less bright due to the wood differences.The natural oil finish affects it a little too. All around, it's an excellent bass.

Do you have one?

13. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Got to play it at NAMM. Waiting for my house refi to go through then I am getting a Spalted NS-2J EX! OMG.

14. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Nice man, PJ told me about the LX after NAMM and I saw the picture of the prototype in natural oil and had to order one. Where are you buying yours from?

15. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    PJ.

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Damn. I'll be looking for one of those instead! Hopefully I can find a blueburst or green stain one. Plum wouldn't be all that awful either!

17. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    So, how is the B string?

18. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Tight :)