Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Spector for me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Mar 7, 2003.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Always a thing of joy, getting a new bass... well, usually! The latest victim for me is a Spector NS2000/Q5 Neck-thru. Very cool bass, sounds great, and looks great, it is the black stain finish. the EMGhz pickups and the preamp sound worlds better than I would have thought. Anyone know what the preamp actually is? I am only having a couple of problems with it... One, I can't seem to get the action down yet, but it is getting there. The second, and there may be nothing that I can do about this, is that the string spacing seems to be pretty tight on it... Maybe I am just too used to my Fenders/Laklands, but it is pretty tight on the strings... anyone else find similar issues on spectors?

Oh well, this one may end up hanging around very briefly, but I got a deal on it and couldn't pass up the chance to try one out for a while.... :D

P@

[​IMG]

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the headstock...

P@

[​IMG]

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I will probably try and get some more pics of it tomorrow...

P@

4. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    i have one too ... the strings also felt tight to me but i am used to a 4 and have thick fingers. i love mine though and it was also a steal. hope you enjoy it.

5. You could bribe PollyBass with it.....

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

hmmmmm........

Great Idea!

:D

P@

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    don't be fooled, man...sr2000's make any bass sound good :eek: just kiddin' man!

nice bass!

8. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what do you mean when you say the 'string spacing is tight' and does that have an effect on its playability?

Anyway, beautiful bass. I yearn for a Spector. :)

9. Congrats man. They are great basses.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    He's right. Even though I'm holding out for a Czech made neck thru, any spector will do me fine. BRIBE AWAY! Nice bass man! I have played them, and I do belive Spector has set a new level in basses in ALL of their price ranges. Rock on!:bassist:

(Thats the first time I have used that Smiley, see what Spectors do to me?)

That Czech 5 string in black cherry is so close i can TASTE it.:bawl:

On side note: SPECTOR GUIATARS? AGAIN!?!? WILL THEY NOT LEARNNNN!?!?!?
    Spector head honcho: Lets see, this idea sucked the first time we tried it, so lets try it again.:eek: :confused:

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The preamp on those,,,wasent it just a EMG active tone circut?

The tight string spacing isnt that much of a problem, I didn't think they were THAT tight. I always have thought spector necks to be on the chunky side! But compared to some Fenders and Laklands, I can see how you would see some diffrance. And as far as the bridge on that thing,,, it's a little tricky, there was a whole thread a while back on it........

12. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    can't beat the nice 'n tasty will lee 5 set!

P@

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I will have to take your word for it, because I don't know.... haven't really researched it, but I will. And if I find out you were lying to me.....

:)
    The neck feels great... no problems there! I think my biggest issue with it is the spacing at the bridge. But I have been playing it mosly with a pick, so that really took care of the issue right there!

P@

14. Aguilar.

Nice bass man...I'll trade you my Harmony for it.

15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, no. they used these in the Czech made models, not the Q5. The czech made models now have an "Spector active tone circut (9volt)".
    I belive in this bass, (about 90percent sure , PMKelly) they had an "Emg active tone circut". Not the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp.

16. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hey there.... just "czech"ed the spector site (i crack myself up:D) and all it says is "USA EMG-HZ pickups with EMG active tone circuit."

but it sure does sound pretty good... and I have been a/b'ing it with my 55-01 that has the upgraded preamp... Interesting....

P@

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You feel that? It's called SPECTOR LOVE brother, feel it,,,,does not it feel goooodddd. I'm telling you, there is a reason people like me love them so much!:D

18. *Garrett waves a banner in the distance*

spector sucks spector sucks spector sucks spector sucks spector sucks

*Is hit by Polly's fist*

:bawl:

19. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Nice bass P@!! Nice avatar too. Have ya seen the one with the spiked collar?

20. That looks alot like my history teacher.