1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Spector for me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Mar 7, 2003.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Always a thing of joy, getting a new bass... well, usually! The latest victim for me is a Spector NS2000/Q5 Neck-thru. Very cool bass, sounds great, and looks great, it is the black stain finish. the EMGhz pickups and the preamp sound worlds better than I would have thought. Anyone know what the preamp actually is? I am only having a couple of problems with it... One, I can't seem to get the action down yet, but it is getting there. The second, and there may be nothing that I can do about this, is that the string spacing seems to be pretty tight on it... Maybe I am just too used to my Fenders/Laklands, but it is pretty tight on the strings... anyone else find similar issues on spectors?

Oh well, this one may end up hanging around very briefly, but I got a deal on it and couldn't pass up the chance to try one out for a while.... :D

P@

[​IMG]

2. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the headstock...

P@

[​IMG]

3. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I will probably try and get some more pics of it tomorrow...

P@

4. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    i have one too ... the strings also felt tight to me but i am used to a 4 and have thick fingers. i love mine though and it was also a steal. hope you enjoy it.

5. You could bribe PollyBass with it.....

6. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

hmmmmm........

Great Idea!

:D

P@

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    don't be fooled, man...sr2000's make any bass sound good :eek: just kiddin' man!

nice bass!

8. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what do you mean when you say the 'string spacing is tight' and does that have an effect on its playability?

Anyway, beautiful bass. I yearn for a Spector. :)

9. Congrats man. They are great basses.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    He's right. Even though I'm holding out for a Czech made neck thru, any spector will do me fine. BRIBE AWAY! Nice bass man! I have played them, and I do belive Spector has set a new level in basses in ALL of their price ranges. Rock on!:bassist:

(Thats the first time I have used that Smiley, see what Spectors do to me?)

That Czech 5 string in black cherry is so close i can TASTE it.:bawl:

On side note: SPECTOR GUIATARS? AGAIN!?!? WILL THEY NOT LEARNNNN!?!?!?
    Spector head honcho: Lets see, this idea sucked the first time we tried it, so lets try it again.:eek: :confused:

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The preamp on those,,,wasent it just a EMG active tone circut?

The tight string spacing isnt that much of a problem, I didn't think they were THAT tight. I always have thought spector necks to be on the chunky side! But compared to some Fenders and Laklands, I can see how you would see some diffrance. And as far as the bridge on that thing,,, it's a little tricky, there was a whole thread a while back on it........

12. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    can't beat the nice 'n tasty will lee 5 set!

P@

13. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I will have to take your word for it, because I don't know.... haven't really researched it, but I will. And if I find out you were lying to me.....

:)
    The neck feels great... no problems there! I think my biggest issue with it is the spacing at the bridge. But I have been playing it mosly with a pick, so that really took care of the issue right there!

P@

14. Aguilar.

Nice bass man...I'll trade you my Harmony for it.

15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, no. they used these in the Czech made models, not the Q5. The czech made models now have an "Spector active tone circut (9volt)".
    I belive in this bass, (about 90percent sure , PMKelly) they had an "Emg active tone circut". Not the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp.

16. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hey there.... just "czech"ed the spector site (i crack myself up:D) and all it says is "USA EMG-HZ pickups with EMG active tone circuit."

but it sure does sound pretty good... and I have been a/b'ing it with my 55-01 that has the upgraded preamp... Interesting....

P@

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You feel that? It's called SPECTOR LOVE brother, feel it,,,,does not it feel goooodddd. I'm telling you, there is a reason people like me love them so much!:D

18. *Garrett waves a banner in the distance*

spector sucks spector sucks spector sucks spector sucks spector sucks

*Is hit by Polly's fist*

:bawl:

19. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Nice bass P@!! Nice avatar too. Have ya seen the one with the spiked collar?

20. That looks alot like my history teacher.