Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Spector For Nino

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I was on Musicians Friend, looking @ Spector's like I do every morning hoping to find a nice "Scratch & Dent" deal & I found one. I got an NS-5 CR in solid black finish for <font color=blue><b>$639.99!!!!!!</b></font> For those of you that aren familiar w/this model, the retail is $1999.99 & normally sell for $1499.99. That's less than 1/2 of the normal selling price. I was so amazed that I even called my wife & told her after I ordered it!!!! (She's gonna kill me!!!) I can't wait to get it & as soon as I do, I'll post some pictures of it.

P.S. an Aguilar OBP-1 is going rite in to this baby!!!!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Spector will go broke when you'd decide to switch brands. You probably are single-handedly responsible for 10% of their annual revenues...:D

Great deal Nino!
    I just hope your missus won't kill ya, at least not until you've had a chance to play this one!

3. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I got it in the mail yesterday & it's GREAT!!!!! It has a few minor scratches. Nothing to warrant them dropping their pants ($639.99) I put new strings on it, cleaned the fretboard, set it up, added an extra 9V battery & I'm gonna play it tonite @ the LimeLight!!!!! It dosen't fell as good as my USA, but the sound is pretty close (Advantage USA). I'll give alittle more info after 2nites show & I will try to take some pics of me in action w/it there.

4. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    You will not rest before you have collected the whole series, right? :)

5. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    :)

6. Congrats NINO !!! You bought that right out from under me!!! :D I was looking at that and figuring out how to swing it.... snooze ya looze, right!!

** try to post a few pic's of the show!!!

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Hey guys,

While we're on the subject, I wanted to ask about the NS5CR's tonal characteristics when compared to the NS4CR.

I am new to Spector, just bought a 4CR and I'm totally digging it. It's a rock monster! My question has to do with the different pup configurations on the 4CR and 5CR.

So I see that the 4 has active EMG p+j pups and electronics, but the 5 has dual EMG DC's.

I don't know anything about these pups, but I am wondering how different it sounds. If you had to A/B the 4CR and 5CR, what are your impressions of the 5's sound? More midrangey? trebly? bassy? etc...

And how's that B string? I never had a 5 string Spector to check out. Is the B tight? I would probably put Lo Riders on it anyway if I had one. They have a nice, taut tension and maintain their rigidity under heavy attack.

Thanks! :)

8. First Nino, Congrats on the new bass, hopefully we'll see pics soon. After you get everything squared away with the bass then give us your review!
    Seamus, I have a pair of NS5CRFMs and a NS4CRFM
    so I'll give you the low down. The EMG P/J's have a big mid range sound of course without the honkiness. This sound is great for standing out in the mix. The lows and highs aren't as dominant but have a brilliant presence. The DC pickups have more of scooped mid sound. The lows and highs are a bit more dominant than the mids. I would call it a slight scoop because the mids are very present. A great "blending" sound. The reason I have a four string is so I can have a different vibe. The four you have sounds killer so don't think of selling or trading for a five. Save some $ then buy a five to go with your four. BTW, the Spector sound that inspired me was Eddie Jackson's (Queensryche) sound on the Operation Mindcrime and Empire CDs. He played a white and black 4 string Spector NS. if you're not familiar with his sound then buy the CD for the bass tone alone!!!

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    sup Dead, thanks for the info, got a few more questions :)

Based on what you've said, I'll assume the 5CR is a little more 'balanced' in that it doesn't accentuate the midrange as much as the 4CR. I must admit, the 4 does have some of the most prevalent midrange tone I have ever heard, it's nasty...in a good way!

The 5 sounds a little more versatile then, I think I'll have to check one out. So what's your take on the pups when they are soloed? I'll go with traditional functionality here and assume that:

1) Soloing the neck - Cuts the highs and mids a bit for a sweet spot in the deep low end?

2) Soloing the bridge - Thinner, snakey midrange sound the more you solo it?

They look like pretty fat humbuckers, so I would guess soloing them does not add any unwanted noise?

ps - I totally remember Jackson's tone on those discs, in fact, I have those two CD's! :) I was a big fan during that time in their career, but I lost track of them after Empire and did not buy anything after that. In retrospect, I can totally see what you mean about his Spector-ish tone on those discs, especially Mindcrime.

10. The concept of the pickup position tones are generally as you stated stated.
    Being that the EMGs are high quality active pickups, noise is a minimum (only slightly heard if your trebel is cranked on your amp).
    I don't solo my pickups for the sound I need in my band. I crank the tone knobs and the bridge pickup and back off the neck pickup slightly to get a little less "boomy" sound.

NINO, now that you played your gig with the black Czech Spector, how did it work out for you???

11. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Awesome. It sounded very close to my USA. The Czech is a bit heavier & the neck is alittle bit "beefier". Other than that, It's great. It will be my new main bass for now. I had some pictures but they came out blurry.

12. geesh Nino cause of you now i caught the Spector bug. now you have got visions of spectors dancing around my head and stuff. another bass to add to my "bass to get after i get money" list.

13. For the price you paid you may as well stolen it! Enjoy your new family member!!!

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    My wife didn't even get mad @ me when I told her how much it was!!!!! I got it super cheap & will keep my eye on MF. If something else is that cheap, there will be "ANOTHER New Spector For Nino" thread!!! LOL