"New" Spector pre-amp vs OBP-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanctum, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Just wondering if anyone has a new Euro Spector with the "Spector" preamp in it. And if you've ever played the older models (like mine) with the OBP-1 in it and can make some comparisons.

2. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    I have the obp-1 in my Rebop, but would have to say I prefer the new one. It seems like it has much more headroom and it biased toward treble which I prefer. I have a Spectorcore5 coming with the obp-1 which I guess is good because it will be a tonally closer match to the Rebop. The real test of the Aguilar pre will be when my new rig arrives next week. I may be premature in voicing minor displeasure of the Aggie.;)
  3. I'm actually very interested in this too.

Bumpity bump bump.

I'm going to buy a euro soon and I don't want it to be crap in the preamp dept.

4. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    I have a Euro 5, I recently removed the OBP-1 and installed the EMGT BT and made it 18v. That in my opinion is the best circuit for the spectors.

The OBP-1 had way to much gain when I played the sound engineers and I couldn't get a great sound because it was a boost only circuit. Had alot of complications of EQing, and distortion problems.

The new spector pre has even more gain I believe talking to PJ, which is not for me.

I prefer the EMG BT's because its a Cut/Boost circuit that I'm used to using. Much easier for the recording sessions and rehearsals/gigs I'm used to playing.

Hope this helps :)

5. Thats weird - I get constant compliments on my sound from soundmen. I run the Euro through an Eden WT-800 using the DI out most of the time. But even through a house DI box I've never had any complaints.

But I've never cranked that bass boost all the way up, there's really no need for it, its thundering anyhow.
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I really like the OBP-1 in my Czech. It took awhile to get used to not having any cut, but the added headroom is nice.
  7. Hi guys... I`m new to this forum but I have a Spector NS2000/5 and I`ve heard a lot of things abouy modifying the BTS tone circuit and turning into an 18V but I`ve never seen a diagram so I don`t know howto do it... thanks!!!
  8. 3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    The new Spector preamps kinda suck actually. I don't understand how Spector thought that they were actually improving the sound of the instrument.I agree with BassMan, the EMG pre's were the best in my opinion. I currently have a Bartolini pre in my mine and love it. I'd recomend it over the Aguilar OB-1. :cool:
  9. I find no significant difference between playing my Euro (w/ Spector pre) and a Euro in my local guitar center (w/obp-1 pre). They are both beastly in the gain department. I debated for a long time whether to get the Aguilar pre in my bass, but opted not to, due to Special circumstances, see this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115100

I believe Spector charges $100 dollars more for the obp-1. I probably would have got the Aguilar pre, if I hadn't fallen in love with my zebrawood beauty, just so I could say I had an Aguilar pre in the bass. (anyway, with $1300 the going price, what's $100? If you want black hardware, it's another $100, too.)
  10. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    From what I have heard, the new Spector Tone Pump is based on an older Spector design from years ago. It operates similar to the OBP but I think it sounds a bit warmer. That's just my opinion though. I could not however get over how clean and neat the control cavity was when I changed the battery !!!! It almost looked like a passive cavity layout !!!!

See pic of Euro 4 w/TonePump...
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My Czech-made NS4-CRFM has the EMG BTS 9-volt cut/boost system which sounds really good to my ears. I've tried one with the OBP-1, IMO it sounded good also. I'd say the OBP-1 sounded slightly more transparent, but I prefer the EMG's ability to cut/boost. I can't really say between the EMG system or the OBP-1 pre which sounded better. They both sounded like Spectors to me. :confused:

I'll have to try out a newer Euro-4 with the Spector preamp to hear if there's a huge tonal difference.
  12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

Hey Noobie ;) ,

Next time do a search, but since you're new, I'll help out this time: EMG mod Welcome to Talkbass!

I did this to my NS2000/5, and loved it! Then I replaced the HZ with EMG 40DCs, and loved it even more!!!