Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Spector Q5 Pro !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by snappytom, Jan 22, 2006.

1. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    Well ..... It's new to me !

Just finished cleaning and setting up a Spector Q5 Pro I got off eBay for $215. It's 5 years old with a few minor bumps and bruises, but overall in very good shape. Transparent black with a quilt top finish, the attached pic does not do it justice. Ordered a RockBag and 2 sets of strings from MF for another $80 and feel like I got my moneys worth.

It's my first fiver and plays very well. Wanted a new backup and a buddy said "why not get a 5 string ?". Saw this and could not pass it up. Truss rod needed a little tweak and the bridge setup was easy, contrary to what some say about Spector bridges.

Have not yet used it in rehearsal or a gig, but I get the feeling it may become more than a just a backup bass.

Attached Files:

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    That's a great deal. I had a Q4 for several years and miss it. Those EMG HZ pickups rock.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had one like that in red with quilt top for almost a year, was my first 5er but i didnt relaly have a need for one at the time so i sold it.

It was a good bass though.
    Now i have a really nice 5er on order ;) (see sig)

4. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Nice for under $300! Very nice.

5. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Very cool man, I've got myself the same thing except 4 string. It was my first real bass. They are great basses for the money!

6. Congrats sir...killer score!
    Mitch

7. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    hi i just read a review sayinbg that the legend 4 & 5 both suffered neck dive. Does your bass suffer this?

8. WOW!!! $215 bucks? How in the world did I miss that listing. I'm always checking to see what Spectors are on the bay! Great score! I hope you love it as much as I love my red Q5!

9. Nice Grab!

10. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    any views on the neck dive thing!?

11. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    My Spector Q4 had no neck dive issues....

12. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    It has a bit of neck dive, not nearly as much as other basses I have tried (for instance; Epi Les Paul or Thunderbird).
    With a nylon strap it will slide, with leather you don't notice it.

13. My Q5 has no neck dive issues at all, at where I play it. I have it situated in front of my belly and the head not quite perpendicular to the floor. I'm not sure if it would dive a little if I had the head pointing up at more of a 45 degree angle from the floor.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    HOW DID I MISS THAT! :mad: :mad:

I have wanted to replace my black Q5 from the day I sold it. It was one of those deals that as I walked into the post office to ship it, I was having that sick feeling in my stomach. It only got worse as I handed it over to the postman, and then walked out of the building empty handed.

-Mike

15. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    I love that bass, I've played many a Q5 and everyone I've played...it was love, congrats.