Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Spector - woohoo!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I had a stroke of luck on Ebay the other day... I managed to score a very nice Spector NS-5CR (a '97 SSD model in lovely gloss black) for a stupidly cheap £375! It turned up this morning, and wow... what a bass, what a bargain! :)

I have yet to try it through my proper rig, but I had a play on it through my practice amp this morning, and even through a little 8" speaker, this thing oozes the classic Spector tone with its twin EMG 40DCs. I can't wait to hear this thing through the Eden! The 34" scale doesn't seem to have any negative effect on the low B, and the bass actually balances better than the more recent NS-5CRFMs with the 35" scale I've tried (they tended to neck-dive a bit in my experience).

Will upload photos later...

Russ :bassist:

2. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Hey Russ!

I was aiming to bid on that but I got stuck in traffic on the way back from a weekend of gigs in Scotland and got home to my computer 5 minutes after the auction had ended! :mad: :spit: :)

That's a great purchase mate.... and at a bargain price! :)

Let me know if you change your mind and fall out of love with it! :D :p

Keep rockin' those Spectors! :bassist:

3. Yah, I remember you bought that when you were talkin to me. Nice bass dude!

4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Have just popped home for lunch and thought I'd have a quick play through the headphones with the drum machine... whooooah! This thing GROWLS! Even on the B string! I love this bass! :D It absolutely nails that Eddie Jackson Queensryche tone and plays like butter! I am going to have a LOT of fun with this bass!

Like I said, pics later, and I'll see if I can record a sound clip (quite new to this Cubase lark)...

That's it... I'm GASsing for more Spectors now!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  6. I'll trade my rebop for that nice streamer you have.... ;)

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Haha, Xo_bionic. i think all the UK TBers were watching that auction - i know that at least me nick and tayste were :D!

8. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Mmmmmmmm, that Eddie Jackson Spector growl.... my favourite... :) :smug: :bassist:

9. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    In which case I PWND you all... :D :hyper:

10. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    If I can get that sound in a recording, I will be so happy... the band will be laying down some new tracks soon, so I intend to use the Spector and do my best to capture that awesome tone! :)

11. Does this mean and end to the Sei bass?

12. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Oh no... :)

I love my Seis, but I've been after that particular Spector sound for ever... now I can get it, I intend to use it! But my main Sei has a very different type of sound that I still want to use, so I guess I'll end up using them both... :)

13. BTW, talking of spectors and growl, can you get me that link to that nickelback stuff?

14. Hey Russ

Congratulations on the spector. For the price you paid, you now have your beater bass for your gigs! :bassist:

Regards

Matthew

15. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I spent the same amount of money on the Spector that I was thinking of spending on an Ibanez BTB... somehow I think I made the right choice! :D

On further dabbling with the bass, I've been finding more and more different sounds. The pan control on this bass is full of different tones, unlike some basses, where there's nothing useful other than neck pickup, bridge pickup or both and may as well just have a toggle switch. I'm still getting used to slapping on it (just not used to its string tension and spacing for slap yet), but the fingerstyle tone is great, and I've never had a bass that was so easy to play or has such as good tone when played pickstyle. I only occasionally pull out the pick, but I sense I'll be playing with one quite a bit more fron now on!

Next step is to send the bass to Martin Sims and get my trademark blue LEDs fitted... our crowd would miss those if I didn't have them! :bassist:

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Haha, the SIMMS will cost you only £75 less than the bass. excellent.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on your new Spector! I've been playing one for 9 years and love every minute...I'm sure you do to!

If you've only had a chance to play it through an 8" speaker, wait until you play it through your own rig! It'll BLOW YOU AWAY!:D

18. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I played it through an Ampeg SVT-III with a 6x10" cab today... amazing! :) I think I might have to trade in my Eden gear and get the Ampeg stuff instead!

19. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    They'll cost me more than the bass - £460 for the complete front and side set! But that's showbiz for ya... :cool: