New Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Got it on Saturday, been too busy playing it to post :D

NS JH5CM #193, Forest Green fretless:

Going to do a couple songs with it tomorrow supporting Nile, going to be a big crowd so it needs to be displayed!

The fretless thing is a little different than I imagined, it's a breeze in the lower registers but once you get apathetic above the 12th things get sloppy real quick. The tone is fantastic though, just enough mwah to sound like a fretless but still punches through. Been jigging with the action a little and I had to raise it(tune a half step down) to stop buzziness, a half turn on all the saddles screws and i was away. It plays beautifully.
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    dayum! that's one sexed up spector! I've been wanting to hear/ try a fretless one forever!
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002

Seems like lots of TBers have been getting Spector USA Bolt-ons lately (myself included.) :)

Edit: Hey, post 1000! :hyper:
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Love it! USA bolt-ons are my fav!
  5. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I'm LOVING that colour scheme!! :hyper:
  6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I got #194 of 04! nice looker. what's with the pick holder on the bass? That's what straps are for.
  7. Cool man, what kind of metal are you playing on that thing?
  8. I can get picks out of the holder rather quickly compared to anywhere else. The sad thing is that I don;t drop any since i started using pick holders.

Brutal technical death metal gets played on it, Death/Cannibal Corpse. Played it tonight supporting Nile and it sounds awesome through my full rig, switching to my fretted was a bit strange after a few songs but those are more fiddly in the high register, and I've not practiced enough to pull them off on the fretless.

I love the Forest Green. The stain finish is growing on me, I've waxed it a couple of times and it doesn't pick up fingerprints quite the same as gloss finishes.

Next purchase is a 6 string, Euro 6 or JH6CM, fretted. Gonna practice this beast a lot though.

I am finding that the fretless playing is making me quicker on fretted as well.
  9. Congrats, that thing is beautiful. Admittedly, I go nuts over just about every Spector I see, but that is definitely one awesome bassl.
  10. that is one of the nicest spectors I have ever seen
    I'm GASing for a blue one like that but with an ebony fretboard
  11. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I've got the NAMM Euro 6. It's the shiz. I would recommend the Euro 6 for sure.
  12. Damn man, power to you. I play speed/thrash metal and I couldn't pull off some of our riffs on a fretless with any kind of close intonation.
  13. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    sweet. I have teh Emerald green- teh forest green wasn't an option when i got mine, but I love both equally. You are a very fortunate man.
  14. hey panterafan, are you panterafan from the nile board?

edit-i just looked at your name and location when i asked that. when i saw you were supporting nile, i was positive. i'm on the nile board too, same name there as here.
  15. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Nice score. Spectors RULE. Everyone should own one. Or two.

16. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Hey PanteraFan, where did you get that beauty? :eek:

From a Sound Control store or from the States? :confused:
  17. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Who played bass for Nile?

Anyways, this Spector looks badass. I want one.

18. Oooh.....nice bass my friend! Fretless huh....well I tried fretless and didn't get on well with them! I'm bad enough where I know where the notes are!

Damn....think I'm getting GAS now.........again! :eek:
  19. I got it through Sound Control yes. Although if I purchase another custom one I might ask Stuart about dealing direct with the factory.

Joe Payne played bass for Nile(he plays bass in Lecherous Nocturne with Dallas, who plays drums in that band). He's pretty sick, he'd only been in the band a week and looked comfortable, could definitely shred.

I can imagine the Royal Blue looking fantastic on one of these, I was tempted by that colour. I went for the forest green as I always liked the green Euros but they looked a little puke green sometimes, this thing just looks dark and menacing.

I don't play all our songs on it, not well enough practiced yet :D. The upper register is quite tricky indeed.

I do like Euro 5's muchly but the bolt on neck on this is incredible feeling. I'd kill for a Euro 6 but for similar money I could get a JH6CM, and I know I'd like the neck. Some of the Euro neck's can feel chunky(the natural finish ones have thinner necks to my hand) but I'm not keen on the natural finish.

Everyone should buy a Spector. With how good the Rebops look, play and sound for the money there's no excuse!

If they made a Rebop 6 I'd buy one tomorrow and put new electronics in it :D.
  20. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    The Euro 6 neck is smooth and super fast. Not chunky at all. There are only 10 of them running around right now (not known if more will be made, they are feeling the market out) so if you get a chance to play one, try it out you won't be dissappointed. The resonance in the these things is amazing.