1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hyde, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    After emailing PJ at Spector as suggested and having lots of questions answered, I made a trip to Guitar Center this week and came home with a new bass!
    I apologize for the craptastic pictures, I'm a bass player not a photographer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The whole family, all three of them:
    [​IMG]
    It's a Spector NS-JH5-SE, made to be sold exclusively at Sam Ash, but it somehow wound up used at GC. It's #009 out of "less than twenty", to quote the helpful folks at Spector. It sounds great, very deep and rich, but very clear and defined. It also has the best B of any bass I've played that didn't have "Roscoe" on the headstock. I'm planning on swapping out the cheesy plastic knobs for some good, black metal ones and putting straplocks on it, but that's all I would change about this bass. Oh, no, wait. Inlays on the front of the neck would be nice. But that's a minor issue on a fantastic bass.

2. Nice spector, enjoy it.
    how much did you pay for it?

3. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    A thousand even.

4. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Thats a nice price , Congrats.
    Hope it plays great.
    For some reason , A passive fender and a active Spector fits perfectly for all playing situations , that seems like your combination to.
    Hope you like it , thoose are great instruments.

5. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Oh wow man, that things marvelous!

I myself recieved my first Spector, an NS-4CR. This things just decimates my Ibanez in every sense of the word. And for $500 bucks, the thing was less than half the street price.

More pics :)

6. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Nice bass....congratulations and welcome to the family.

7. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Congrats, nice Spector. One day i would like to try one out.

8. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I'm still waiting for my after Christmas funding to acquire another Spector, and start refinishing the NS-2.

9. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    wow, nutty spector...i've conceded to the fever that is spector a couple years ago, and i just got my 4th...i no longer have my first two, but having just picked up a usa spector ns-2j, man, there's no comparison with the czechtors...i've gotta take a family pic soon :D

10. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I love the Czech ones, but you're right, they don't even begin to compare to the US-made Spectors. Haha, and nutty is the best adjective for this bass, it really is. I know next to nothing about Villex pickups, and it may have a lot to do with the pickup location and Aggie pre as well, but to my ears this bass sounds sort of halfway between other NS-JH5s and my American Deluxe P-Bass. I'm not sure what possessed Spector to go with such a different electronics scheme than most of their stuff, but I'm loving it, it fits my style perfectly. I'm a Fender fan, particularly of Precisions but I needed something with a bit more aggressiveness, a bit more clarity and definition, and a great B. The search is over!

11. patrickshofner

patrickshofner Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Central Kentucky
    That is beautiful. After I had to let go of my Euro Spector, I've had an empty space in my heart :( . So now I've vowed that when I find the right US Spector, I'm whipping out the credit card and taking the plunge. Congrats on that bass. In the words of Borat: "Very Nice! High Five!"

12. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago

As far as?

Typically, the Euro Spectors have a smoother tone, being made of alder, not maple. As far as workmanship, the Euros are very close, unlike the MIM to MIA Fender build quality gap.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I own a Euro Rebop, and it has become one of my top basses, easily.

14. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Congrats! She's definately a nice one! They're addicting aren't they? I have 2 that I absolutely love, and I want more.

15. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Very nice find, i guess it sounds different than a typical spector but still feels like one, am i right?

16. I want a real Spector with the sexy curves :crying:

Congrats, I'd have jumped on that deal too even though I prefer 4s

17. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    The big difference I noticed between this and Euros/Rebops is the feel. The neckthrough Euros in particular have a very good, like you said, smoother sound, but the US-made Spectors do feel noticably higher-quality to me. The finish, the fretwork, the neck, they're all simply impeccable. Of course, take anything I say about feel with a grain of salt, because one of the other discoveries I made at Guitar Center was that I like the feel of a Squire Vintage Modified P-Bass better than a Mexican Fender Standard or a US Highway 1.
    :bag::bag:
    Definitely. The pickup is a bit closer to the bridge than the neck pickup of other Spectors, so my right-hand fingerstyle technique has required some adjustment, but hey, I need to work on it anyway (and I'm using the adjustments I'm already having to make to play this bass as an excuse to force myself to learn floating thumb). The neck is very much archetypical Spector, which is almost perfectly in line with my preferences.

18. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Port Allen, La
    I just ordered this one.. Should be here Friday..

fe_3.gif

19. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Don't sweat the lack of inlays... consider it uncluttered. I'm a fan of plain fingerboards unless you're talkin' vintage J-bass with big happy block inlays. Yours is spiff. Very dig-able old P on the right there, too.

20. I have that same BASS! Mine is #4!!! Welcome to the family! :D

spectorneck.jpg

ul3102.jpg