1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Spector's here!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Apr 14, 2006.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yes, after about two weeks of waiting, my new Spector has finally arrived! But it isn't the one I ordered...

Here's the story:
    I first bought a Spector Performaner, then took it back for a Spector Legend. I actually talked to George's Music about ordering it first, and the guy told me that Spector had the Legend Classic and the Legend Custom in stock, along with some ones left from 2005 (which has PJ pick ups, gold hardware, and a bolt on neck). I returned my bass but decided to order my new one through Guitar Center (since it's closer). So Mikey, the guy who ordered it for me, did all the stuff that we needed done.

Skip ahead to today, where my bass finally comes in (although it was suppose to come in yesterday, but I did too much waiting). He calls me up to tell me my bass is in (this was at 11AM). I actually go at 5PM. Walk in, go up to Mikey, and the first thing he says was something along the lines of "We have a problem. They sent the wrong bass" and I was just left puzzled. He was helping someone out first, so I had to wait a few minutes. When he finished, he brings me to what they shipped. It was an '05 model. I just said I'd go ahead and try it out, did, came back, and said I'd take it.

So what really happened was he called Spector to confirm the serial number (keeping in mind that he's not an expert with basses. He plays guitar), and I guess something didn't match up. He ended up talking to Stuart Spector himself to see what the deal was. It turns out that the bass I originally ordered (a Legend Classic) was on back order, although it wasn't when he originally called to order it. The source of the problem? Guitar Center special orders department screwed up. But I'm not complaining.

Now for the bass. I actually ended up saving $100 by getting this one and not re-ordering the one I originally wanted (this one costs $600 to order, and I had to pay $500 for the other one). As I mentioned, PJ pick ups and gold hardware. It also has a 3 band EQ on it (double stacked knobs, which I've always wanted to try out. They're pretty good, but don't turn as smoothly as I'd like). The strings had a bit of a bright poppy sound. Playing through my Fender Rumble 15 amp, this thing was booming. It seemed like my amp might not have been able to handle it. But it's great. I can dial in a bunch of tones.

Anyway, I know the rule here is that it doesn't exist if there's no pics, so here's a few of them. I'll take some of it in the case later.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just look at that bridge shine!

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Whoa, can you turn down that bridge??

Seriously, though, congrats! I hope one day, you'll get the chance to play a US made Spector!

3. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well I was thinking about putting black hardware on it, since that's what was suppose to come with what I originally ordered, but probably not in the near future.

I also forgot to mention that it's been dubbed the name Jeremy II (yes, I name my guitars. All of them). The first Spector I had was named Jeremy by my friend Laura (since I told her I was trying to think of a name for my guitar, and she suggested Jeremy, which is the name of my other friend who plays guitar. And since I love him so much, I decided to name the bass after him). Well I sent the first one back, and since I was to get another Spector, I decided it should be named Jeremy II.

Edit: Oh, one day I hope I will! I know I can try out a European one, since the Guitar Center here has a Rebop, but I one day hope to own an American one. Shoot, I just might go up to New York and stand infront of the window, hoping someone will let me come in and meet Mr. Spector himself! I'd also wanna meet Mr. Eppard, if he still works there, since he's the father of Josh Eppard, drummer of my favourite modern band Coheed and Cambria, who's bassist is Mic Todd, who's one of my inspirations and the reason that motivated me to try out a Spector. So indirectly, Mr. Eppard is the reason why I bought Jeremy II.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I named my Spectors too, but after beautiful women. My black one was named Selma after Selma Hayek because it was a brunette and is very curvy like her. The blonde one was named Heather after Heather Thomas(it was the 80's!) and the red one named after Lauren Holly(check out The Adventures of Ford Fairlane).

5. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well I just realized all my guitars have guy names, and I'm not really sure why.

Well my Squier P bass is named Melvin because that was the geekist name I could think of at the time. I already explained Jeremy II, and my acoustic is named Kevin because...actually I'm not sure why it's named Kevin. I might change, but it's just sorta stuck to it now. Next one I get I'm gonna name Jessie, after my friend Jessie, who's the girlfriend to Jeremy. I'm thinking a Fender P-bass in a sort of dull gold, black kind of paint job to look like the one from her purse.

6. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Houston we have a problem. (Apollo 13) ... Glad it worked out for you.

Flashback to 1997 ... went into a friend of mines music store over in Arkansas, and played a Warwick Pro M5 , loved it, paid money down told him I would be back by the end of the month to get it. Two weeks later I couldn't stand it anymore and called him up and said I would be right over to get it. He said ... DON'T ... it's gone! ... say what! Well story was after I left he went to lunch, and left it hanging in the store, wouldn't ya know one of his salesmen sold it. This where it gets good Greg (my friend) calls Warwick, tells them the story ... ask them to "cherry pick" the finest Pro M5 they can find and ship it to him. The end result was the one they shipped was far superior to the previous one. I still have that bass today.

Enjoy your Spector ... the one I have now is a 1993 NY NS-4 ... I sold it about 4 years ago and was lucky enough to be on Ebay one night and see it ... bought it back! It is a maple PJ four string with tiger flame. I just recently changed out the EMGs to a passive system from these guys ... http://www.has-sound.com ... and it's better than ever!

7. merdenoms2590

merdenoms2590

Apr 30, 2005
    i like that finish on that a lot.

props:cool:

8. WOW! That's a sharp bass. Congrats.

9. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Is this the one?
    [​IMG]

10. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    Hey, lovin' the basses guys, can't go wrong with a Spector!

11. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    I love Spector basses. My first decent bass was a Spector Performer 4, and I upgraded to a Euro 5 a few months ago. I love it.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Cool Finish , Is it trans or solid on the back ?

13. My second bass was a Spector Rebop 4. I wanted to test one out but couldn't find a store nearby. So I just started looking for prices. The store where I bought my amp told me they were surprised by the prices so they ordered one for me and I was free to test it. The best thing I ever played. Hoping to buy a US series one day...
    Have fun with your Spector!!

14. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm pretty sure it's trans, but I'm not really an expert. I'll take a picture of the back for you when I get home.

15. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    WOW ... Lowmid1 ... that's MY Spector ... too cool!

16. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I bought it new many years ago from PJ Rubal when he worked at Veneman Music in Rockville. I have never seen wood that figured on anything. You can feel the flame.

17. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I contacted PJ Rubal about this bass ... he said that tiger flame was only used rarely ... and commented that this one was a fine example ... I love it ... and the new pickups make it really talk ...

18. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    Nice ! I played a Performer last month at GC and I liked it from what I remember . I was thinkin of giving the legend classic 4 a look but I'm unsure about the gold hardware. How does it look ? cheap ? can you order it with black knobs, tuners and bridge ? Anyone got some sound clips ?

Rich

BTW - I'm not trying to hi-jack your thread ! Sorry !