New Spirocores

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Feb 8, 2005.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Spirocores are now reformulated, according to Mike Shank.

I was just recently trying a different string setup, running Spirocores on the E and A with Flexocors on top. Didn't work out for me, but it's bass issues rather than string issues -- the fiddle seems to prefer the low tension strings, but this is another topic.

I first had brought to my attention the new Spirocores by the lady at Ideal Strings. She was complaining about the new packaging, and I thought that it was just this -- new packaging.

The new formula start out a lot darker, still a little banjo-like. The break in a lot faster. I had gotten rid of the banjo sound by the second day instead of my normal 4-5 days. I didn't hink much of it, but I did notice that they seemed a lot darker with the bow as well as bowing more easily. I was under the impression that my arco chops had gotten better and I was just getting something different out of the string.

In discussing the afore-mentioned bass issues with Mike, he told me about the reformulation and that the jury was still out. It could be an improvement and draw players toward Spiros that had formally found them too bright and mean, both pizz and with the Stick.

Anybody else run into this?
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Very interesting. How recently did they make the switch? I might go back to Spiros if I could bow them.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It may be time to start hoarding the old formula. I might get rich on ebay!!!
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I believe in the last few months.
  5. I started noticing a change even a year or two back when the went with the little black tube on the D string to the clear tube you get on the current version.How many of you remember the red tube on the D string?
    I use Spiro's on most of the new basses I sell and even on the Plywoods I have noticed as Ray mentioned a better, more robust arco sound.Easier to get the string started and less scratch.They are darker out of the packages and break in is shorter.I did notice the G string on the mittels to be a bit thinner in gauge,simalar to a weich.I like what they are doing these days...not sure if the messed w.tensions...maybe more supple feeling.
  6. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    This thread peaked my interest as we are a major Thomastik dealer and we use Spirocore's on so many of the basses we sell, so I looked into it a bit. I called Kevin (Connolly & Co, the exclusive importers of Thomastik product in North America) and asked him about this. He is not sure where this misinformation is coming from...but it is all wrong. Yes, that packaging has changed (the first change Thomastik has made in a very long time) and this new packaging has some mixed feelings...but the strings themselves are the same. Speculation that perhaps material and construction tolerances may, as expected with any product, improve with time could be the only explanation.

There has been no product switcheroo. No New Coke / Classic Coke business here.

I just love the internet and the speed with which misinformation can so quickly travel.
  7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Maybe my arco chops ARE getting better.

I have noticed a difference, though. Maybe their string winding machine needs replaced :) (ref: Puh-lease)
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002

no Ray, it's doze thingies up there that hole the strings...
  9. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    'Sfunny, because I got all excited when I read this post: the E string on the last set of Spiros I bought had a different-looking winding, was considerably darker sounding than normal, broke in quicker, and was easier to bow.

If they didn't change the formula and that E string was a mistake, I should send it to them and ask them to make me a whole set of "mistakes!"

Now that I think about it, though, they already do--they're called "Superflexibles."
  10. Well the cat from Thomastik[Kevin ]will tell you one thing and then us players[Ray, myself,etc.] who are out in the trenchs know somethings up.
    All you have to do is compare to an old set set from the 70's and you'll hear and feel the difference.... I have a box of dozens of these things laying around.I change strings on basses almost every day and alot of the new sets I use are Spiro's. I have seen a gradual change,not a big thing,but there is something going on that the U.S rep prolly will not be told from the big boys in Austria.
    Like I said before,as long as they work and you get the sound you like,keep em' comin...
  11. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    I got really excited, reading the beginning of this thread. You cant beat the pizz tone of those spiros. but the arco . . . . oh the arco. why do they call them orchestras? if orchestras used them, man, screech city.
  12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A lot of guys do, but you gotta let 'em break in. The 'Marks Brothers' -- Mark Dresser and Mark Helias (sp?) swear by them. I talked to Helias one night about them and his position was that although they're very unforgiving strings, they'll will give you more than you can get from other strings -- once you get a handle on bowing them.
  13. I've been using the Thomastik Orchestra's since Lycon went out of business in the 60's. I'm totally addicted to them.
    I think Burt Turetsky was the first person I'd seen or heard that uses them for everything....pizz and arco. Usually, the people who dig 'em for arco just have real dark sounding basses which helps, but after checking around, there are quite a few people who just plain prefer them, like Burt or Bert? & the 'Marks Brothers'.
    I can't tell what a bass really sounds like until I put a set on.
  14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You know Mr. P., there are other business establishments that sell Spirocores. After 40 years, you might want to consider a new set. :)

As for arco, Spiros were actually the first string I ever tried to bow. I was playing weichs D-G and mittels A & E on my Engelbert Humperdinck.

I didn't have that much trouble with the A&E. It was the top strings that sounded so awful to me. I think there are lots of folks who bow using a spiro E with some other combo on top.
  15. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was looking at getting a set of Spirocores as I'm looking for more of a detailed growly sound from my already boomy bass :p Are these strings what I'm looking for
  16. Paul, this is very comforting! After much progress since I started DB in September, my teacher here at the university handed me a new set of Spiro Orchestra's after my lesson today to slap on the bass that I'm using. I had borrowed a Kay w/ Spiro Mittels on over Christmas break (which really helped me focus my arco technique with the quickness of that Kay) so I'm a believer now!

Now I just have to go through the routine of putting the strings on and rubbing them, etc. My first time changing DB strings!

FWIW, the strings that are on the bass right now are Helicore Orchestra's, and when it comes to pizzicato, they are duller than a Physics lecture. :p
  17. Hey B&S, whatdya mean by "rubbing them"?
    I don't mention this very often, but I, very carefully , stretch new Thomastiks when I put new ones on. You do have to be very careful because you could injure the string. I'm sure Francois will hate hearing this.If you hear a pop, you're doing it too hard. This will help get rid of that obnoxous tinny sound of new strings, especially the G and D.
  18. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am a new convert to the Spiro Stark E...
  19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Do you just stretch them in your hands?

For years, when I string up an EBG, I will squeeze the new strings in a fist and pull them through my palm a few times before puttin them on. It takes that nasty edge off of them.

Maybe Bassandsax does the same with his DB strings.