1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New sports car, or old bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thumpybumper, Oct 29, 2009.

1. thumpybumper

thumpybumper

Dec 5, 2008
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Or,.....15 brand new Ric's, of various types. No thanks. Seen stuff like that at guitar shows. What a waste of money.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Well one thing is for sure. Id rather spend my money on a few Vintage basses then any automobile. You are for sure flushing your money down the toilet with a car. Ive bought and sold many vintage Fenders. Made money on EVERY one of them

Rob

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    What Bikeplate said.

Plus, I usually need a truck, or something bigger, to get my gear around. A Ferrari, Mercedes (Sports car, of course!), or Lambo would have a tough time.

5. Honestly, I'd take a car. A practical car, like a Honda or something. My Squier Affinity Jazz Bass V does the job for me.

6. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    lets not forget the $75,000 Gold 1964 Fender Jazz Bass virtually unplayed that pops up on ebay every now and then..i could have 2 brand new loaded dodge rams for that

7. LBronson

LBronson

Dec 31, 2008
    Seattle
    I think investing in vintage guitars or cars is a tricky thing fo a player. If you own either you cant use it the way you want or risk loosing the investment. If you owned a vintage bass worth more the 20 grand would you play it? If so what happens to it. Owning a classic car is the same. I know I would have a hard time with that, thats why I buy with the intent of using it. Leave the collectors to preserve the past.

8. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Actually, it's not "selling". It has no bids. "Listed" is the proper term. "Selling" would imply that there's someone dumb enough to buy it.:bag:

9. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    i stand corrected.. thank you kind sir for pointing that out:D

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
  11. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
  12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well, I wouldn't buy any new sports car as an investment, they always drop like rock. 60's muscle cars, differen't story. If I had 30g's, I'd go buy a big block 67-68 fastback.
    Me and my old roomate used to restore Mustangs throughout the 90's. He had a '66 Shelby GT350, bought for 20k in '92, kept for 7yrs and sold for 42k. Today we couldn't touch that car for 90k.

People that can afford those vintage instruments, different mentallity, and they usually own more than one. Plenty of pros play vintage...look at Guy Pratt and his stack knob Jazz he plays all the time, or the rest of his collection.

13. One of the most in demand bass players in the San Francisco metro area drives a Ferarri to the gig all the time. No big deal... and play's a very cool vintage Fender bass for his Electric type gigs and schleps his rig in his Ferrari......

how cool is that..???? can you say neo ..micro rig......... Walter Woods.. Etc.... and of course... his Upright is usually allready at the gig...

can you say gig envy...???

peace Capt Kirk :hyper:

14. I would spend the money on the Ferrari, but come on that thing isn't even a p bass.

15. Buzz Fluhart

Buzz Fluhart

Jan 10, 2008
    $350.00 SHIPPING ???? It's either being shipped in a concrete crate, or else has a hellova lot of insurance on it !! I have the money for it right now, but am being VERY cautious, as not to fall for some kind of scam and get ripped off; so, I am investing the money in a Fantastic deal on some oceanfront property in Kansas a realtor is selling dirt cheap !! $29,800.00 for a bass?? Ha Ha...I showed him !! :cool:

16. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I would spend the money on a few select pairs of Boas and Pythons, make my money back many times over in a few years.

17. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    You bet I would. It's still a tool, and if I dropped 20 large on it it's probably a REALLY REALLY GOOD tool :D

18. i like how in the listing it states that the bass was "Tested using a very early MESA BOOGIE amp"

19. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY

Well that makes it worth $30K!! And I wish he'd say someone famous tested it, like: "Beethoven tested it and thought the tone was PHENOMENAL!"