Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Standard/Arnold's Carved Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bdengler, Feb 22, 2005.

1. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Has anyone purchased or played the hybrid or all carved versions of the La Scala New Standard bass or the carved basses made by Arnold Schnitzer? I'm really more interested in using it for arco, in local community orchestras. I figured since the laminated basses get such rave reviews that perhaps the same magic may apply to the carved basses. Many thanks, Brian

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Mine's the hybrid, so's Durrl's. You can read all our love letters to our basses in the "Are they really that good" thread.

3. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    I have a hybrid as well. Its a great arco bass. I played a fully carved la scala before I bought mine, it sounded amazing. Expert craftsmanship.

4. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    i had the la scala hybrid and it was amazing for arco and pizz- chris f bought it from me. i hope to get another one someday.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Brian, if you're going to be playing mostly orchestral/arco, you might want to check into the New Standard Cleveland. I haven't played it, but eveyone who has raves about its big, full sound under the bow. I use the La Scala on the occasional orchestra gig, and it's fine, but if I were doing any more orchestral work, I'd be ordering a Cleveland for sure.

6. I own a fully carved LaScala... and let me say that the bass is a beast. With dominants on the E and A, the thing is very loud ( lamps shake, seriously). I wish I had a picture of my teachers face when he first heard the bass strung with dominants. As an orchestral bass it projects very well; both loud and distinct. The upper register is butter. It speaks well all the way up to the high fingered C with the harmonics being very clear and even. As a short player ( 5' 7"), the upper register dimensions couldn't be better. If you couldn't tell... I love this bass!

7. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    AJBass, what is the string length on your LaScala? Because of Arthritis and a stretched ligament, my left hand needs a shorter string length. I was looking for something between 40 and 41 inches. Thanks for the review of the carved LaScala. I play some pizz, in church, but 90% of my playing is with community orchestras. It's the only real opportunity I have to play and frankly, I enjoy it.

Many thanks, Brian

8. The String length is 41 6/10"

9. I have a Cleveland hybrid. I've been using it in the orchestra with Olivs, and it's boss.