1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale New Standard Cleveland upright acoustic bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by vividvoltaire, Apr 27, 2021.

1. vividvoltaire

vividvoltaire Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Price:
    $3200
    Strings:
    Made in 2003, number 124. I am the second owner. First owner was the very nice TB'er Mike Childree (mchildree).

When I received the bass in 2013 it had some marks and a small crack, very thin, 8 inches long, but only in outer veneer on back. Crack does not affect the sound or playability. Bass has been in my home since 2013, never gigged. See the many photos for the complete story.

From The New Standard Bass website:

A large 3/4—small 7/8 sized bass with a strong, even sound and excellent playability.

Modeled after a highly sought-after American-made bass which is no longer available, the New Standard Cleveland fills the gap between inexpensive student basses and premium but fragile carved instruments. Truly a professional bass, it responds equally well both pizzicato and arco. The string length is reasonable (42"), the construction is strong, and the body design produces a punchy, deep tone.

The neck joint has been standardized and strengthened, the string length made more manageable, and the neck has been mounted to allow better access to the upper register.

A huge hit with jazz, slap and Broadway theater bassists, it has a deep, punchy tone with a lot of "puff". It is a large 3/4 (or small 7/8) size with round back and gamba corners.
    • Built of poplar-core laminates, which are light and resonant
    • Beautiful spruce and maple exterior veneers
    • Quality ebony fingerboard, nut, saddle and endpin (10mm with screw-on tip)
    • Hand-applied oil finish (no tone-robbing polyester, lacquer or heavy conversion varnishes)
    • Set-up to exacting specifications, with special one-piece adjusters installed in a fine European maple bridge
    • Authentic inlaid purfling, top and back, which adds to the beauty and helps prevent edge degradation
    • Beautifully carved scroll and neck, top-notch attention to detail throughout
    • Proper neck-set angle for arco playing
    D neck
    String Length 42" / 106.7 cm.
    Body Length 45 1/4" / 114.9 cm. (back)
    Upper Bout 21 1/8" / 53.6 cm.
    Lower Bout 26" / 66.1 cm.

Comes with an old reunion blues soft case that still provides great protection. Also equipped with what I think is a Revolution Solo upright bass pickup.

Lastly, if on the east coast, I will hand deliver the bass for $150 or for free if close (we can discuss actual distances if you are interested).

new_standard_bass_01.jpg new_standard_bass_02.jpg new_standard_bass_03.jpg new_standard_bass_04.jpg new_standard_bass_05.jpg new_standard_bass_06.jpg new_standard_bass_07.jpg new_standard_bass_08.jpg new_standard_bass_09.jpg new_standard_bass_10.jpg new_standard_bass_11.jpg new_standard_bass_12.jpg new_standard_bass_13.jpg new_standard_bass_14.jpg new_standard_bass_15.jpg new_standard_bass_16.jpg new_standard_bass_17.jpg new_standard_bass_18.jpg new_standard_bass_19.jpg new_standard_bass_20.jpg new_standard_bass_21.jpg new_standard_bass_22.jpg new_standard_bass_23.jpg new_standard_bass_24.jpg new_standard_bass_25.jpg new_standard_bass_26.jpg new_standard_bass_27.jpg new_standard_bass_28.jpg

lermgalieu, sonicyogi and B.Anderson like this.
  2. sonicyogi

sonicyogi Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2005
    NYC
    Pm sent

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Is that the one Mike played on the EASTWIND Bluegrass band recordings? I've got those CDs if anyone wants to hear what the bass sounds like. It's good!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021