Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Standard Hybrids

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bdengler, May 30, 2005.

1. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Do any of you have an opinion on the quality of sound of the hybrid versions of the New Standard basses (the Cleveland and La Scala) for arco? I play both arco and pizz (arco in a community orchestra, pizz in church). I once had a hybrid bass, and although it was not as loud as a fully carved bass, I liked the fact that the hybrid was even across all strings and a bit darker and less strident then my current carved bass. Thanks for your comments.

Regards, Brian

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    If you do a search of the forums for Cleveland, La Scala, or New Standard you will find many posts about the quality of these instruments.

3. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Freddels, thanks for the tip, and you are so right, there have been postings on the topic before...in fact, I'm the one who started the previous thread! I believe I started the posting and then I couldn't find the thread later. Sorry. But if anyone has any updated comments, I would still appreciate it on whether the New Standard hybrids would be good for arco. Regards, Brian :oops:

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've done that before, and felt like a complete idiot, since not only had I started the original thread, I had also been the one to put it in the Newbie Links. DOH! :rollno:

I've had Sidney King play mine a few times, and I think it sounds wonderful - but remember this assessment is coming from a jazzer (albeit one who used to write for strings a bit).

5. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    I've had Sidney King play mine a few times, and I think it sounds wonderful - but remember this assessment is coming from a jazzer (albeit one who used to write for strings a bit).[/QUOTE]

That's OK...that's the joy of playing double bass. You can do classical, you can do jazz, folk, etc. Thanks for your comments.

Brian