1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Standard in Metro Detroit

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jazzy bass man, May 11, 2006.

1. As I near college, I am beginning to think about buying a nicer instrument and the New Standard basses are particularly atractive. The Clevland is more what I am looking for than the La Scala considering that I am interested in unamplified jazz. While I do own a bow, the acro sound is not as important as a big blooming pizz. From the descriptions of sound people give, this bass seems to have at least a similar tone to what I am looking for.

So...

I was wondering if, first of all, anyone in Southeast Michigan (or elsewheres in Michigan) owns either model.

and if there is any chance those theoretical people would be cool to meet up some time.

Thanks a lot

Ben Rolston

PS Also any other opinions on these basses as college age instrument would be appreicated (especially if they are above this type).

2. bumpity bump bump

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I'm partial to the Cleveland myself. If I were you, I'd contact Brent and Nick to see if they know of any in the area. There's got to be some. If not, it looks like a road trip to Ohio for you.:)

4. wallydoesbass

wallydoesbass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Menlo Park, CA
  5. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Sorry, I am not near you. I owned a Cleveland Hybrid for just over a year. I only sold it because the shoulders were a bit high for me and higher thumb position was not as easy for me as I need it to be. (I am 5'8'' and that is something to factor in. If I were just a little taller this might not have been as much of an issue.) All of that said, I highly recommend New Standards. They have a big sound and you can really project and hear yourself w/o an amp. They are setup impeccably and I feel they are the best in their price range and then some.

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    You are welcome to see me in Columbus Ohio anytime and play my Cleveland. I'd just save the trip and buy one. fwiw after playing Chris Fitz's hybrid LaScala I'd say they were more alike than different. They both play fantastic and both have a huge sound. It convinced me that you can't miss with these basses and while I love mine I could have been just as happy with his.

7. Freddels, sorry I may be confused, who are Brent and Nick. I though the New Standards were made by Arnold Schnitzer and Wil de Sola, am I wrong. Either way I was planning on contacting them anyway.

Wallydoesbass, unfortunately that nice peice of work is fully carved and about twice the price. Still an option though.

MSW, fortunately for me height is not much of a problem seeing as I'm 6'1" and growing

Uncletoad, I may be PM'ing you over the summer. Everyonce in a while I end up in Columbus, and I'm sure it could happen again.

Thanks again
    Ben Rolston

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Nick Lloyd is a luthier in Cincinnatti and is who I bought my Cleveland from. Brent Norton is Norton Customs which is in Rochester MI. You'd need to contact either of them to see if they have one. Nick may, I'm not sure about Brent.

Come by anytime this summer, just let me know a couple days before and I'll have her here waiting. For that matter anyone is welcome to do the same.

9. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Nick Lloyd is the only luthier who is assembling, finishing and setting-up the New Standards, other than our shop. He is strategically located in Cincinnati, OH. His luthiery skills far outpace his golf swing.

10. Thanks for all the responses
    I have heard both names but didnt connect them

Uncletoad, thanks for your generous offer. I will probably try to get in touch with either Nick or Brent before I bother you though.

Ben Rolston