Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Standard[ Jazz Bass all around ]

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BAJO, Mar 10, 2006.

1. BAJO

BAJO

Mar 7, 2006
    West Orange,NJ
    :hyper: Hey guys, whats up? My name is Carlos Henriquez, and I just got my New Standard last week and took it out on the road with Wynton Marsalis. I have to say that the sound coming out the bass is unbelievable. I had the time to hook up with Arnold while we were setting up the bass, and he told me that I was going to be very happy on the first gig, HE WAS RIGHT ON IT!!!!!!! If you ever need a travel bass, I recommend the Plywood model of the New Standards. They hold up to any condition you face it with. My setup is all natural- Gut G=43 D=52 A=50 E=GOTZ STRING. NO DIRECT PICKUP ON BASS, JUST A GREAT RECORDING MIC OR RIBBON MIC. IF THE VENUE IS LARGE THERES A MONITER ON STAGE FOR ME AND THE DRUMS.....
    P.S.
    IF LATIN MUSIC IS THE MUSIC YOU PLAY WELL, THIS BASS IS THE PUNCH YOU NEED TO BREAK THROUGH THE RHYTHM SECTION!!!!
    I KNOW;)

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Welcome to TB and the New Standard club. Many of us really love our New Standard basses.

3. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Hey Carlito! Saludos and Congrats!

[​IMG]

4. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Welcome Carlos - so you're another New Standard convert, eh?

I regularly play Latin Jazz (see sig. below) and am in the market for a pro-quality bass at under $10,000, so thanks for the NS recommendation. They are high on my list, although I don't know anyone local that I can persuade to let me try one. I'm leaning towards the La Scala at present, as I also play a fair bit of straight ahead Jazz.

Be sure to post where you are playing to this list, and if you're ever in Los Angeles I'll come see you play.

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Carlos who?

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Welcome to the New Standard Lovefest, Carlos. We owners should get together for a group shot sometime.

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I vote we go to Marcus' place!

8. Bajo, congrats on the NS. I'm really knocked out by what all the NS players say about their DBs. (one of these days...)

The 'Magic Hour' video at the Apple kick-off is great. :cool: After seeing it, I made some inquiries about you on this forum, and proceeded to spell your last name w/o the 'H'. oops...my apologies.

all the best & keep thumpin'

gomez

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Would you point me to the video, please?

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Say when, I'll fire up the grill.

11. You can download it it on 'iTunes' music store. I's part of the Wynton Live session EP. It's right there if you click the Jazz genre page.

gomez