new standard questions

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by potato4931, Dec 8, 2004.

1. i'm thinking about purchasing a new standard and have a few questions that i hope someone out there can help me with. first question: what is the difference in sound between the laminated model and the hybrid? i play in local small jazz groups and a few big bands. only bow when practicing although i am thinking about joining a community orchestra. i have 2 basses, one with a 40 inch string and the second a 41. second question: the new standard web site says that the cleveland model has more "puff" than the la scala. what does that mean? the la scala looks like it's easier to move around on. is it? thanks.
  2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I suggest you ask Arnold. He will be 100% honest and sincere with his answers. We are doing our first business together with the restoration of my Morelli Bass and I am getting to like him and his work more and more as time goes by. I trust his word 100%. He IS your best source for this but other current owners will also shed similar or other views on it........ Good luck.. I liked the Standard he had in Kicked BUTT. You may want a Hybrid type String to use the same Bass for both Jazz and Orchestra..
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    If you do a TalkBass search on New Standard, Cleveland or LaScala you will find much information on these great basses.

I own a laminated Cleveland and am very happy with it. I also had a chance to play a laminated LaScala before buying. The Cleveland is a large, big-shouldered instrument with a strong low-end fundamental. The size of the shoulders makes upper-register access a little difficult. I play a lot of jazz, Latin, pop, and ethnic folk music and the Cleveland has a full, satisfying sound. I practice some arco and sometimes bow jazz solos, and I must say Arnold's basses have the best arco of any laminated instruments I've tried.

The LaScala has a more articulate voice with an upper-midrange emphasis and compact bottom end. Upper register access is very easy. Didn't have a chance to play hybrid or fully carved versions of either, I would imagine the tone to be more complex, particularly arco. Arnold said the laminated instruments are easier to amplify. I (and many others on TB) feel that these are some of the best instruments to be had at (and well above) their price point due to the effort and care put into their design, construction and setup.
  4. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    Dont underestimate the power of La Scala. Im a couple of months into my hybrid and its starting to shake my security window gates. NYC style.
  5. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago there anyone in the Chicago area that has one of these basses (Cleveland or La Scala) and you're going to be playing out with it?. I'd love the opportunity to hear one cause I will be looking soon for a step up. Also, I'll be in Los Angeles from 12/23-12/30 so if there's anyone out there I'd love to come out and hear you. Thanks

Have a great holiday everyone....and as usual, thanks for all your excellent posts and advice.