New Standard string options?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by brutuscheezcake, Jan 29, 2005.

1. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys,

so, i currently have a set of spiros on my new cleveland. what kind i have no idea. i was wondering what other sets you NS owners have tried and liked (both lascala and cleveland).

i must say that i am very interested in a set of "starks" based on recent comments by mr pizzgerald. i have always thought that heavy strings really sounded better on my slabs so IN THEORY it oughta make my cleveland more fundamental and signifigant (sp?). better sustain. more growl. i love big strings!

me? pizz mostly, 15 minutes of bowing right before my first scale, but that is about that bow-wise. i still want a big fat heavy assed carbon fiber bow just to scare the neighbors with. the fibreglass glasser only scares them so much. of course that could be my intonation! i am straight ahead jazzer with bop inclinations.

so, who tried what on their NS's?

yer bud,

ps. did i shamelessly mention my new Cleveland again? yes i did!

pps. is this i a new bass player infraction? gratuitously mentioning you have a NS? gotta be $25 bucks. paypal only.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've only tried Obligatos (came with the bass) and the Starks. The Obligatos sounded more organic and certainly bow better, but the E is worthless and they got buried easily when combined with other instruments in live settings. For my money the Starks eat them alive. I believe Todd Murphy had some Helicores on his LaScala ply and they sounded good.
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Before the Oblis which I use now, I had Spiro Weich with an Orchestra E, at Arnold's recommendation. I may return to that setup next time, just for sh*ts and giggles. It's really nice on the La Scala, growl for days, and they last forever. Arco stinks at first, but is okay in time.
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Besides the Spiros that came on my Cleveland, I've only tried Helicore Pizz Mediums...mainly just because I had good results with them on other basses. Arnold has told me he doesn't care for them, but they continue to work very nicely for me. I only play pizz BTW.
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I bought a year-old laminated Cleveland with a set of worn-in Spiro Mittels. I loved the tone both pizz and arco--the gruff bowed tone cuts through very well in unamplified settings. It was really hard for me to get the E and A strings started with the bow, though. The upper strings had a beautiful, rich, singing tone with the bow.

Next I tried Innovation 140H Honeys, which are advertised as being gut-like. They were pretty stiff, with a big fundamental and not much growl or sustain. I liked them amplified but I struggled to produce much volume acoustically. Arco tone was sweet--a little too polite for my tastes. I decide to try these because I heard Michael Moore uses them and I love his tone--but then I discovered that buying string X because player Z uses it will not necessarily give you the tone you think you're gonna get.

Then I got some Pirastro Jazzers. They were a bit more supple than the Spiros and bowed much more easily. The pizz/arco levels were also more evenly matched than the Spiros. I did a lot of unamplified gigging with these. If I stood in the corner and dug the endpin into a wooden floor I was loud enough to compete with an electric guitar and drumkit in a jazz/Latin trio. The E and A sounded perfect to me, but the D and G were much brighter, which I found annoying, especially amplified. I stretched the D and G quite a bit and didn't clean them after playing, which helped them mellow out a fair bit.

Now I'm on to Obligatos. I really like the tone for both pizz and arco but they're definitely not as loud as steel strings unamplified. I was careful to lube the nut and bridge slots so the windings wouldn't separate while the strings stretched--a problem others have mentioned. I haven't had a problem with the E or A rolling when played pizz, which others have. After about three months I feel like they're already starting to lose a bit of their tone, though I've been careful not to detune them.

Before spending any more money on strings I'm definitely gonna try the Spiros and Jazzers I have again, possibly the Jazzer E & A mixed with the Spiro D & G. If you can handle the Starks (which must be a b!tch to bow) I bet they'd sound huge.
  6. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I feel the same way about the jazzers. The jazzer E & A with flat chromesteel D & G is pure heaven. They balance perfectly.
  7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Just to throw a monkey wrench into the works...I've had the opposite experience from Winston's regading Oblis vs. metal strings; I get a lot more acoustic volume on my bass with the Oblis. So apparently it's different on every bass. I guess that's why the TBDB string forum will always be one of the busiest. ;)
  8. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    Ive got a full set of weichs on my la scala. after 3 months they mellowed out for arco pretty nicely. for pizz they still have some growl but sometimes the tension is too low. I had corelli fortes on it in the beginning but they didn't match the bass at all. too wimpy