Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Standard - Unclothed!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Brent Norton, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    With the regard NS basses have earned around here, there's no doubt that a number of you have even undressed one of these babies with your eyes (don't deny it - you're safe here)... Well, now you don't have to: In the spirit of Paul Warburton's bathroom escapades, I present to you a coupla nudie shots of a soon-to-be-fully-clothed NS Cleveland. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Very Cool! Maybe you can post some progressive picks as she gets dressed and covered? (Sort of a reverse strip-tease? ) ;)

3. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Nice! I take it you're customizing it...
    Think you could do your removable-neck modification on a New Standard? That'd be my ideal travel bass, I suspect...

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Sexy. Looks like your ready for an Earl Scheib job.

5. I think I see a nipple.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    That looks like something Mr. Paul New would be interested in....

7. Isn`t this forum supposed to be work safe ? Somebody cover that thang up.

I don`t think that one is mine though, Mike. Prognosis is very tentatively early summerish.

8. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Well come on Brent, quit holding out! Whatcha gonna do with that pallette?

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I was wondering when this was going to happen, and I very much look forward to it. I personally really liked the aged jazz bass treatment Brent did some time ago, and that would be what I personally would choose here.
    But that's just me, the wolrd is a big place, and Brent does damn fine work.
    Progress pics as you go, please!

10. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Looks like that's gonna be a fun project. BTW, I've got quite a collection of nudie talipiece pics (just can't post'em)...

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Why not? Are they not "aged" enough?

12. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Trust me, it's not the age that makes the pics in question un-postable!

Meanwhile, sorry fellas - no NS progress pics. I started finish work last night, and the bass needs to be done (with the bass buttoned back up) by Thursday night. Only reason I'm posting now is because there's some dry time happening next door in the shop... As for the hints? Well, some of you will love it, some of you will feel it's a travesty (which usually suggests to me that I'm doing something right ;) ), but rest assured, it'll be like no other Standard.

13. one word- dis-APPOINT-ed!!!!:crying:

14. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Bet I'm gonna like it :cool:

15. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    know I'm gonna like it...

16. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm dying to know now...heck.. nwo i REALLY want a norton-customs-NS-LaScala now that I know it is possible

17. kipmartin

kipmartin

Aug 22, 2004
    nashville, TN
    endorsing artist: intellitouch tuners, sansamp, uptonbass
    hey brent

can you confirm or deny this: the neck is identical to a neck found on a new englehardt. is it sourced from the same manufacturer?

kip

18. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    No - two totally different things. Where the Engels have essentially 'machined' necks and scrolls with glued on volutes and a thin profile, the NS basses sport meticulously carved and finished necks and scrolls - with a more "traditional" profile. Stem to stern, completely different.

19. As someone who has owned both an Engelhardt and New Standard, I can tell you there is no comparison between the two. As Brent notes, the E'hardt's neck is very thing and uncomfortable to play. It caused me to use a Vulcan Death Grip on the neck which resulted in significant pain in my left hand. The NS neck is thicker but VERY comfortable to play. As Goldilocks would say "It's just right!"

20. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    How about a naked Eminence?

Attached Files: