New Status Graphite KingBass YAY!!!! :-)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Horny Toad, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    Received my KingBass this morning! I'm so psyched! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Thought I'd share specs/pics:

Book-matched cocobolo facing with walnut back
    Compound radius top
    High gloss lacquer
    Mono-rail bridge/tuners
    34" scale headed woven graphite neck
    19mm string spacing at the bridge
    Gold hardware
    Green front and side LED's
    Treble / bass active E.Q.
    Variable frequency midrange E.Q.
    Phenolic fretted fingerboard
    18-Volt power supply
    2 Status soap-bar pickups

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Congrats! That looks SERIOUSLY rad...
  3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Awesome! I have an older Status Energy that isn't as fancy, but I adore it, it's a joy to play and has lots of sounds ranging from super-smooth to bright to totally-in-your-face. Judging from the short upper horn, your King Bass looks as if it may be neck heavy, but I trust the guys at Status.
  4. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    It's *slightly* neck heavy, but it's nothing my wide strap can't tame. Very minor. Yes, the range of tones you can pull out of this thing is eye-popping. Also, it has the lowest action and flattest neck I've ever seen. It's plays "like butta". :D
  5. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    It looks sweet, but why are there both ABM bridge (headless bass) tuners and headstock tuners?
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ditto, of is it the Neuser system?
  7. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    Honestly, I just like the way that bridge looks on that particular body, and it's just something a little "different".
  8. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    Do you mean the "fretted/fretless sound" bridge? No, it isn't one of those, but I'm not sure exactly what brand of bridge Status is using.
  9. awesome bass. Though Im not fond of LEDS
  10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    ABM makes similar bridges to the one on your bass, and they also started making the Neuser-system bridges
  11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    That's pretty sweet indeed. I have a Kingbass Standard (headless), no frills. These basses kick some serious ass, no doubt. It's one of my favorites.

My keyboard player picked it up on a break one day and fell in love with it. Whenever I bring it he asks if I'm taking good care of it for him. :D

Good luck with your new toy!
  12. Wow! I bet thats a slapper's dream.
  13. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Congrats Horny Toad!!!
    I have a Status Electro that rules my world...
  14. BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
    Congratulations from a fellow Status player. My SmartBass is absolutely wicked, so is your Kingbass I'm sure. :hyper: Enjoy it.
  15. Damn, that is an amazingly pretty bass. Lock your doors, I am flying in to steal it! :)

What electronics config did you choose? I really dig the mono saddles in conjunction with regular tuners. I guess you can thick of the lower mono saddles as "fine adjusters", for quick tweaks. :)

16. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Wow, now that's a cool bass. Totally diggin' the LED's.
  17. Dude, did I coin that quote on your sig? It must have been me!! If not, who is Jay? Genius Slipknot reference. :)

18. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005

Thank you for the kind words (except the theft part)! :D

As for the electronics, I chose this option: "Active 3-band E.Q.
    with variable mid frequency". Here's the description from the Status web site:

"Active treble and bass controls are augmented with a variable frequency midrange circuit. The mid frequencies have a pre-set cut and boost (selected with a 3-position switch) but the frequency can be swept between 300Hz and 3KHz allowing you the possibility to find the perfect midrange.
    18 volt supply for added headroom."

Bottom line - you get a HUGE selection of tone out of the bass. I'm sure it'll take me a while to discover all of the ins and outs.

I'm looking forward to a good, long relationship with this one. :) :bassist:
  19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Congrats! I have a Stealth 5 which I adore. They kick serious butt when playing live, trust me.